Cats Are So Much More Than Pets

Cats Are So Much More Than Pets

My cat, Missy, is more than just a cat.

22
Cats Are So Much More Than Pets
Chelsea Holdsworth

I feel as though you are either a cat person or a dog person. With that being said, I am a cat person 100 percent. Cats are the complete opposite of dogs. They are super laid back, sassy, and don't care about much. Since I have gotten my cat, however, I have learned that they are under appreciated.

I got my cat when she was just ready to leave her mother. I have protected her and cared for her as if she was my baby (which she is). As a kitten, she slept with me and when I wasn't home, she would be locked in my room until she was old enough to explore the house. It is crazy what bonding with your animal can do.

I know it sounds crazy because I'm talking about a cat. Cats don't bond, right? Wrong. My cat sleeps on top of me EVERY night. When I am upset, relaxing, or even just tired she will find me and hop in my lap. If I am eating she will sit in the chair next to me and wait for me to feed her. If I don't feed her, she will put her paw on my arm and sometimes get in my lap. My cat even responds to her name and will come to me when I call.

Maybe I am a crazy cat lady, but my cat has shown me how to love wholeheartedly. She not only loves me, but she is always there to check on me. Cats are usually overlooked and are treated as though they are just there to have, but if you treat your cat the way you treat your dog you will find that they are more than a sleeping furball.

She is still a cat; she still chases moths and sleeps most of the day, but she does more than that. Sometimes you get a pet and it works out almost too good to be true. That is what happened when I got my cat Missy. I have never loved an animal as much as I love my cat, and I feel as though that is her purpose. She was given to me to show me how to love and to help me find happiness. There is nothing better than sitting, with a cat on your lap, listening to music or reading a good book.

My cat has taught me a lot of things. She has taught me to love, like I mentioned, but she has also taught me how to have hope. When she was given to me I was warned that she has never been around many people and that we don't know how she will react with other animals. From day one she has shown me, all 8 of my siblings, my parents, and the two dogs the most love a cat could give. I have never had a cat that actually showed that they cared about their owner. Cats need love just as much as dogs do, and should be given just as much attention. I have had plenty of cats in my life, but none like my baby Missy.