Catfishing Is A Thing Of The Past, Dating Expert Says

It's going to be a lot harder to trick singles in post-pandemic life.

3958

Sorry, catfish! It's going to be a lot harder to trick singles in post-pandemic life, Match Chief Dating Expert Rachel DeAlto shared with Odyssey. Because now that we have had to find alternate ways to move our dating lives forward while in quarantine, FaceTime and video dates have become a lot more common.

So, her prediction? This shift in dating will likely continue once "regular life" begins once again. Here's what Rachel had to say on the topic.

Why do you think catfishing is dead or why will it die after the pandemic is over?

"Even after the pandemic, I predict daters will still use video to vet their dates before meeting in person. Especially with integrations like Match's Vibe Check, it's never been easier to make sure you aren't wasting a night out and are really talking to the person you think."

Do you foresee other crazy dating problems rising in its place?

"Ha! I'm sure there will always be something! I think the biggest challenge moving forward will be the difference in opinion on whether to meet in person right away versus being more cautious."

How do you imagine the video call dates will roll over into post-pandemic life?

"Video will absolutely be used to make sure someone is 'IRL worthy.' Prior to the pandemic, most weren't open to video, but so many daters now realize the time-saver it can be."

Why is this a good thing?

"Daters are going to be far less frustrated. Singles will be taking their time when it comes to dating IRL again. They want to ensure that a connection is established online before considering meeting in-person, and video chats will play a key part in that process. I expect that this new vetting process will result in stronger in-person connections when that time comes!"

Why could it potentially be a bad thing?

"My only concern is that daters could end up in an entirely virtual relationship!"

Are you ready to keep video chatting in your post-pandemic life? Avoid getting catfished by FaceTiming with the help of this cellphone stand and/or this ring light.

As an Amazon Affiliate partner, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.