A few years have passed since the last "Hunger Games" movie was released, but I still love the series and always will. My favorite character is easily Foxface, the sly redheaded tribute from District 5. Although only a minor character, she remains the center of a very interesting theory that has captivated me for quite a while. What is that theory, you may ask?

Foxface ate the poisonous berries on purpose.

In the book, Foxface is noted numerous times by Katniss to appear intelligent and elusive. In her training evaluation, it is shown in the film that Foxface scored a modest 5, suggesting that she had no real skill to demonstrate to the Gamemakers. This makes sense, as her intelligence was the primary weapon she utilized and therefore may have been difficult to demonstrate. In addition, she may have purposely obtained a low score in order to appear mediocre and unthreatening to other tributes so they would ignore her.

After the Career tributes plant landmines around a pyramid of supplies, Foxface was able to memorize which ones were activated and which were not, allowing her to steal food from them without being blown to smithereens. Toward the end of the book, Foxface hides in the Cornucopia before the feast and snags her bag without worry. She knew nobody would follow her, as everyone else would be worried about getting their own set of supplies.

While Foxface was insightful and clever, she met her demise when only four contestants remained in the Hunger Games. Peeta made the error of thinking poisonous nightlock berries were edible, and Foxface stole some from him. It is noted in the book that she was emaciated, so with starvation kicking in, it would make sense for her to blindly trust Peeta's judgment.

But wait, then what was the purpose of this scene in the movie?

Foxface is engaging in a computerized game intended to help the player memorize what plants and berries may be poisonous in the arena.

It strikes me as very odd for them to have included this scene, especially since Foxface dies of the exact thing she seemed to be dedicating substantial time to avoiding. In the book, her death is seen by Katniss and Peeta as a foolish mistake, but because of this scene, implications of suicide are thrown in. Why else would this be included in the film, other than to foreshadow Foxface's death?

Okay, but why would Foxface choose to purposely eat the berries? She was in the final four contestants! She had a chance to win!

Did Foxface really have a chance, though? She was starving and therefore extremely weak, both physically and mentally. Also, her competition may have been small, but it was still very much a threat. Cato was as dangerous as ever with his sword and newly acquired armor. Katniss was paired with Peeta, and her bow and arrow rarely, if ever, missed a target. How tempting it would be, in such an exhausted state, to eat the berries and end it all. Doesn't that sound more preferable to being slashed with a sword or taking an arrow to the heart?

Foxface intended to make her death look like a mistake. If she blatantly ate the berries with a scowl while staring into a camera, her family would have certainly been killed by the Capitol. It would have looked like an act of defiance on her part, and she knew that. In order to protect her family and district, Foxface pretended to slip up.

Remember, though, that this is simply a theory and has never been confirmed.

So, what do you think? Was Foxface's death a simple mistake, or did the sleek, red-haired tribute know more than she let on?