13 Reasons A Cat Is The Purrfect College Pet

It's time to adopt a new roommate.

127
Sadie Lebo

You might think you can't handle taking care of an animal and get through the hectic life of a college student, but that depends on the pet. Cats can surely get down with your busy schedule. There are so many reasons why cats make the best pets for a student in school, but I have managed to narrow it down to 13.

1. Shelters in the area.

There are a lot of animal shelters and humane society's near the college I attend. Adopting a cat from the shelter is the best for you and the kitty. They are usually not a fun place to live for a cat, so you will know you are doing a good thing giving them a home. They are also pretty cheap which is always a nice bonus.

2. Never need walked outside.

Cats have their litter box inside so you don't have to worry about being home and taking them out to go potty several times a day. You can be out all day and never have to wonder if they have to go to the bathroom. It's so purrfect for a college student's schedule.

3. Don't take up a lot of space.

Apartments and college houses are usually small and packed with other roommates. A cat is so small and quiet that they would never be in the way. You'll never feel cramped or overwhelmed with a cat living in your space.

4. Cheap to take care of.

Besides the initial things you must buy for a cat, they really don't cost that much to keep up with. All you have to buy them is food and cat litter. They have tiny mouths so a big bag of food will last a long time and if you use a "pooper scooper" you won't have to buy litter that often either.

5. Purrfect binging buddy.

You'll never have to watch Netflix or YouTube alone again. Cats are, 9 times out of 10, down to chill. So instead of a friend to watch a series with, watch it with a cat, because they will never be busy because they will never have plans with anyone but you.

6. Built-in mouse trap.

Houses in a college town are usually run down or the people in them trash the place, both of which attract mice. Cats love to hunt so if there is a mouse in your house they will take care of it. They will probably love doing it and will bring it to you.

7. Rarely shed.

The clean up after a cat is no big deal. They rarely shed and if they don't go outside they will never track mud on the floor.

8. Come potty trained.

Why is it that cats are so good at going to the bathroom? Once they are born they seem to just pick it up so fast AND they even cover it up once they do their business.

9. Low maintenance.

Cats almost never need to be bathed. They clean themselves and always smell nice. Their hair never needs to be cut and with most breeds, they don't even need to be brushed.

Cats don't require you to do a whole bunch either. You don't have to run around to play with them. You can either sit with a laser pointer or dangle a string over their head.

10. Don't need a lot of attention.

Dogs constantly need love and attention. They get sad when their owners aren't home and that can make the owner feel really bad when leaving.

Cats, on the other hand, are completely content being alone and actually prefer it sometimes. When you go out they are rarely panicking, wondering where you went. They will probably just take a cat nap or chase a bug around.

11. Roommates are free cat sitters.

If you ever need to leave for a whole weekend to go home, you don't have to bring them or try and find someone to stop by. At least one of your roommates will be home and they can just feed them once a day and that's all a cat needs.

12. A source of motivation.

I have heard before that you should start your day doing one small task and that helps motivate you for the rest of the day. Well, how about that one small task being feeding your cat? It will force you to get out of bed because you love them and want them to eat and be happy. That one accomplishment will set you up for a productive day.

Having a pet to take care of can help motivate you to get a job and do good in school so you can provide for them and create a happy life together.

13. De-stresser from college responsibilities.

Cats have been known to calm people down. They'll snuggle you and warm you up after a long day walking through the snow to class. Need a break from an assignment? Put the laptop down and hold your kitty. It's nice to focus on something other than school for a while.

Cats are a good reminder that there are beautiful things in life.