Cat Care at Home 101

Cat Care at Home 101

A cat who experiences good cat care and training is likely to live a long, healthy life. If you have a new cat, the first thing to do is take her to the veterinarian for a health check up.

12

A lot of veterinarians are also willing to provide cat care tips and information on how to look after your new pet. Your cat will need vaccines. The most common ones protect against feline upper respiratory disease (cat flu), feline enteritis and feline leukemia. Your veterinarian will tell you which vaccinations your cat requires and when. He will also check for worms or other infestations on your first visit with your new cat.

Feeding Your Cat

The basic requirements for a cat are food, water and shelter. There are many types of cat food on the market and different cats have different preferences. Read the reviews of cat nutrition options at store sites like Amazon's native reviews or dedicated trusted sites like CatPet. A young kitten should be fed several times a day and an older cat once or twice. For good House Cat Care, try to keep to a feeding schedule so your cat knows when feeding time is approaching. Fresh, clean water should be available all the time. Cow's milk is not recommended for cats, despite popular belief!

Make Your Home Cat-Proof

Your home might not seem dangerous to you but there are various products, plants and furnishings which can be hazardous to cats. Possible dangers include exposed electrical cords, insecticides, laxatives, perfume, sleeping pills, stain removers, nail polish remover, solvents, aspirin and bleach.

Cats are naturally inquisitive and will investigate anything new or unusual they come across. Common signs of cat poisoning include a pale tongue and gums, vomiting, convulsions, a swollen tongue, no appetite and diarrhea. If your cat has any of these symptoms or if you suspect she has eaten something she shouldn't have, get her to the veterinarian as soon as possible, with a sample of whatever she has consumed. Remember too that some household plants are toxic to cats, with lilies being especially dangerous for them.

Caring for Your Cat's Coat

Brushing, feeding a balanced diet and regular parasite treatments are the best ways to ensure a healthy coat for your cat. Grooming removes knots and fur matting and also loose hair which might otherwise cause hairballs. Shorthaired cats might need brushing once a week but longhaired varieties of cats might need to be brushed daily.

House cat care includes combing, which removes fleas, flea eggs and ticks. Fleas are small, brown insects without wings. They feed on the blood of their host. You might see them and their droppings on your cat's fur or skin. To check for fleas, look around the head, ears and neck of your cat and also around her tail. These are the most common places to find cat fleas. There are various ways to combat fleas, including collars, powders, sprays and topical liquids applied to the fur.

Cat Parasites

If your house cat gets outdoors or if she is especially young, she might be at risk from worms. Worm varieties found in cats include hookworms, tapeworms and roundworms. You can get advice about de-worming and other tips about house cat care and training from your veterinarian.