16 Conspiracy Theories That Will Change The Way You See Cartoons Forever

Here are all the stories that you couldn't come up with on your own, or ones you wouldn't want to, where happy childhood memories take a twisted turn

51766

While most of us love the mythical worlds built by our favorite movie and TV shows. We understand that the fictional universe isn’t set in stone, that there is a lot of behind-the-scenes will never know. Here are conspiracy theories that will either fill in the blanks, or ruin your childhood forever. I’m not claiming that any of these theories are facts or confirmed but simply bring light to the ideas out there and share them with you.

1. Perspective in "Courage the Cowardly" Dog Theory

While most of us jumped in fear at the sight of the monsters when we were little, if we were to watch them now then the most they’d get out of us would be an eye roll. This theory is not only satisfying but it's not creepy in the slightest. This theory states that all the monsters don't actually exist but just the way Courage views strangers. In addition, he doesn’t live in the middle of nowhere but he lives with an elderly couple so they can’t take him on walks. This would also explain why Eustace forgets what happens to Courage every episode, because nothing is wrong. If that wasn’t exciting enough for you, there are whole other theories behind “Courage the Cowardly Dog”.

2. Hey Helga, correction "Hey Arnold!" Real Star Theory

Unlike the debunked grandparents theory (where Arnold’s real parents are his grandparents so his football head shape is a result of defects because of their age), this one is more of an audience observation. This theory states that the “real” main character of this hit cartoon is Helga G. Pataki. I mean if you really think about, we get more information about Helga’s family, her thoughts (via monologues AND flashbacks) and her feelings. All we know about Arnold is that he’s a popular kind kid that everyone likes, so he’s more suited as a (maybe unrequited) love interest instead of our main protagonist. I mean “Hey! Arnold” seems like a phrase yelled by Helga, and can anybody even quote a line that isn't from her?

3. The Depressing "Up" Theory

We all know that the first ten minutes of “Up” is heart wrenching on it’s own, but this theory will definitely make you wish you had a box of tissues and make you angry that this movie could get any sadder. This theory suggests that the main character of “Up”, Carl, has been dead the entire time and the whole “journey” is him accepting death and going to the Afterlife. The evidence being that the balloon equation is impossible and all his interactions are symbolic.

4. The Real Genius in "Pinky and the Brain" Theory

A theory practically confirmed by even the most casual of “Pinky and the Brain” fans, is the fact that Pinky is the real genius. Evidence being that in the theme song, it states “one is a genius and the other is insane” but it never dictates which one is which. Many Reddit fans have also said that while Pinky has show his intelligence many times, Brain repeats his schemes over and over despite failure. The definition of insanity is repeating something over and over again and expecting a different result. But so many fans know this “theory” that it’s thought of as fact.

5. "Rugrats" Imaginative Hallucination Theory

One of the more sadder ideas, this theory suggests that the tiny tots we know and mostly understand, aren’t real but a simple figment of Angelica’s imagination. That’s right, not only are the babies not real, but the girl we love to hate is the only one that is and the reason she sees them will only make you cry. The theory goes that all the babies are dead in different ways and Angelica imagines them to cope with the loneliness. Evidently, Chuckie died with his mom (explaining why Charles is so frantic all the time), Tommy was a stillborn (which is why Stu spends most of his time in the basement, making toys for the child he never had) and Lil/Phil were aborted (the theory states that Angelica imagines them as twins because she doesn’t know what gender the baby would have been). I know, as stories go, this one was majorly sad but remember whether the theory is true or not, the characters are fictional.

6. The Witch from "Brave" Theory

Connected to a much greater scheme of Pixar, is the theory behind the identity of the elderly witch in “Brave”. Many have speculated that the witch is in fact Boo from “Monsters, Inc.”. The evidence behind this being a monster that looks like Sully is carved into a wood panel behind her. This means that either “Brave” takes place in a weird future verse or that Boo can travel back in time. I wouldn’t dismiss this quite yet though, because in the end of “Monsters, Inc”, Sully re-created the door and we heard Boo laugh. Therefore, one theory states that Boo could use this magic door to travel different places (and time, because her carving of the truck suggests she’s seen present/future time), including Medieval Scotland.

7. "Aladdin" Timeline Theory

While the gruff street rat turned prince taught us to always be ourselves, there's a theory out there that will change the way we view Agrabah. The theory states Aladdin really takes place in the future. The evidence being that Genie mentioned that he’s been stuck in the lamp for 10,000 years, that combined with the fact that Genie makes constant pop culture references makes the movie set significantly later than we thought. And if Agrabah is the future, this means that the world is somehow post-apocalyptic and reverted back to simpler times...what a bummer. (Side-note: there are two alternative theories include “Aladdin” is set in the past [because Belle was reading a book about him in “Beauty and the Beast”] and the Aladdin is just a story made up by the merchant to try and sell you the lamp)

8. "SpongeBob SquarePant’s" 7 Deadly Sins Theory

I know that it’s hard to imagine “Spongebob SqaurePants” getting any weirder but with this fan conspiracy, stuff has pretty much hit the fan. Now, I’m not gonna talk about all of the theories related to this show because that would take all day. Instead, I’m going to explain my favorite one, which states that all the characters represent one of the seven deadly sins. The theory states that Spongebob is lust (not necessarily lust, but Spongebob loves everyone around him), Squidward is wrath (hates everything and gets angry quickly), Sandy is pride (deeply proud of her Texan background), Mr. Krabs is greed (super selfish, obsessed with money), Plankton is envy (jealous of the Krusty Krab and wants the recipe), Gary is gluttony (Spongebob forgetting to feed Gary is a “thing” on the show), and Patrick is sloth (incredibly slow and lazy). As far as theories go, this one could be a string of coincidences or an underlying truth.

9. Related "Disney" Characters Theory

Technically three theories in one, this theory states that some of our favorite disney characters might be connected in a way that we never expected. Theory #1: Jane (from “Tarzan”) is the descendant of Belle and the Beast. The evidence behind this theory being that during “Tarzan”, the teapots from “Beauty and the Beast” can be shown. Additionally, Jane and Belle have similar taste in knowledge, unconventional father's, unwanted suitors, “wild” men, and yellow dresses. Speaking of Tarzan, he has own shocking family theories. Theory #2: Tarzan is Anna and Elsa’s long lost brother. How? Well, the story states that Elsa and Anna’s parents didn’t die but crashed on an island, had a baby (Tarzan), and were eaten by mountain lion (it may sound far fetched but even the director of “Frozen” was a fan of it). Last, but certainly not least, is theory #3: Anna and Elsa are related to Rapunzel. Not only does Rapunzel make a cameo at Elsa’s coronation, but the characters looked scarily similar. In addition, some fans speculate that Anna and Elsa’s parents shipwreck (demise)happened on the way to Rapunzel and Eugene’s wedding. There’s also some speculated “Little Mermaid” connection but that’s a theory for another day.

10. The Post-Apocalypse "Flintstones" Theory

While everyone loves Pebbles, Bam-Bam and the rest of the residents of Bedrock, we gave little thought to the actual setting of the series. However, during a crossover episode with “The Jetsons” entitled “The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones”, a theory was born. In a episode the Jetsons want to travel to the future but the machine breaks and sends them to the town of Bedrock. Some fans speculated that the machine didn’t malfunction at all, meaning that the setting of “the Flintstones” might be, in actuality, the future. This would mean that sometime, the world gets destroyed to the point where society has to reconstruct itself back from The Stone Age. This would explain why they understand modern inventions (cars, record players, TVs, vacuum cleaners, typewriters etc.) enough to re-create them with the tools they posses.

11. "The Magic School Bus" and "Captain Planet" Theory

This theory may be one of the loose and ridiculous ones, but it’s still fun to ponder. This theory states that this the kids from “The Magic School Bus” eventually grew up to become Planeteers in “Captain Planet”. Despite the only evidence being that all Captain Planet team look like grown version of the kids, people have created a whole backstory for it. The story goes as follows: Gaia kidnaps an entire bus of children and brainwashed them under the disguise as Ms.Frizzle. The theory goes as far as to say that the children who resisted lost their mind and became villains. I know there are some inconsistencies like “Captain Planet” coming first, but prequels exist right?

12.The "Phineas and Ferb" Biological Dad Theory

One theory that seems to be wrong on so many levels, is that fact that many speculate that Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz may actually be Phineas’ Dad. Since there’s no mention of Ferb’s mother or Phineas’ and Candace’s biological dad, many fans have created their own ideas. Evidence behind the theory states that both Phineas and Doof have the same triangle head (Ferb gets his head shape from his dad) and both love building inventions. In addition, in a flashback, Doof was shown going on a date with Phineas’s mom Linda. Ignoring the creator’s denial, this theory is one that fits together without changing the concept of the show.

13. "The Fairly Odd Parent’s" Anti-depressant Theory

As far as ruining childhood shows goes, this one is pretty tame. But for what it lacks in shock factor, it makes up for with it’s eye opening truth. This theory suggests that Timmy’s Godparents Cosmo and Wanda are really antidepressants. The evidence goes that they “are only around when he needs them”, arrived when his problems began, will be using them for a long time (“Channel Chasers”), and there are “side effects” when Timmy abuses their powers. If you love to read too much into things, then you might wonder what the other fairies in the show represent and well, you’re going to have to come up with a few theories of your own.

14. The Magical "Suite Life of Zack and Cody" Theory

One of the more out their theories, this one suggests that London Tipton might be a part of Rowling’s wonderful Wizarding World. In the episode "The Silent Treatment", London says Voldemort’s name after Bailey say He-Who-Should-Not-Be-Named. Afterwards, London gasps in fear of the name, causing Tumblr users to speculate for something deeper. This means that London isn’t your typical dumb rich girl, but a wizard (or Squib) whose parents are busy with the ministry and who doesn’t quite understand the muggle world.

15. "Winnie the Pooh" Disorder Theory

We all love to watch Tigger bounce around and have Winnie the Pooh find his honey, but there may be more to this children story than meets the eye. This theory suggests that each character in “Winnie the Pooh” represents a different mental disorder. This list goes as follows: Winnie the Pooh (Eating Disorder: always “stress” eating honey), Piglet (Anxiety Disorder: super nervous all the time), Tigger (ADHD: can’t stand still), Kanga (Social Anxiety Disorder: anxiety when she can’t protect her son), Roo (Autism Spectrum Disorder: lacks awareness), Owl (Short Term Memory Loss-seems to forget what he says often), Rabbit (OCD: obsessed with order etc.), Eeyore (Depression: sad outlook on life), and Christopher Robin (Schizophrenia:sees a bunch of animals talking to him). I know, this may be a tad of a stretch but it’s something to think about.

16. The "Pixar" Theory

A cartoon conspiracy list would not be complete without mention “The Pixar Theory” (link to the whole theory included). This theory states that all of the Pixar movies occur in within the same universe which explains all of the cameo/references within all the movies. While the theory has extensive evidence, listing it will take a whole article in itself. However, the timeline of event chronologically goes as follows: “Brave” , “The Incredibles”, “Toy Story”, “Toy Story 2”, “Finding Nemo”, “Ratatouille”, “Toy Story 3”, “Up”, “Cars”, Cars 2”, “Walle”, “A Bugs Life”, “Monsters University”, and finally “Monsters Inc”. Not only are these movies out of order release wise, after the movie “Up”, the movies take place in the future. Crazy, huh?