A Carpool Karaoke Wishlist

A Carpool Karaoke Wishlist

It's just a simple, humble request.....kind of

53
A Carpool Karaoke Wishlist
Late Late Show official Twitter

Carpool Karaoke is a viral and late night sensation, brought to life by James Corden and his EP Ben Winston. Any Carpool companion has seen an uptick in interest in their music, new and old. It’s a veritable tool in keeping their momentum going or reigniting interest in them. We’ve seen the big stars of today, such as Adele, Chris Martin of Coldplay, and Bieber. We’ve also seen the legends who still resonate through the ages, like Elton John, Rod Stewart, and quite possibly the sweetest, the one and only Stevie Wonder. The show just won its first Emmy award this week, ahead of the actual awards ceremony which will take place this Sunday. It is also nominated for Variety Special at Part 2 of the Creative Arts Award portion. Overall, there’s a little something for everyone and that’s the magic behind the segment. Every time one of my friends or I watch it, what follows the praise is “oh I so wish [insert name here] would do this!!” I figured this would be a perfect way to express my wishes directly to the scheduling folks over at The Late Late Show.

So in no particular order, here is my wishlist of 10 artists to join James Corden in Carpool Karaoke!

Little Mix

Little Mix are hands down the best girl group in the world right now and they’re set to release their fourth album at the end of this year. Rumour has it that their lead single will be released in October 2016. They’ve been on the show before and as fellow Brits, they’ve got a good friendship with Corden. They could rock out in the car and James could even fill in for Jason Derulo, a former Carpool companion, on their song Secret Love Song and would probably hit every note perfectly. They’re all about Girl Power and have some seriously awesome songs that haven’t quite reached a majority of America for whatever baffling reason. We might get a couple of quips about what it’s like to tour the world and Corden always pulls the laughs out.

5 Seconds of Summer

5SOS, as they’re affectionately known by their fans, are currently on a world tour, blazing through North America at the moment. If you’ll recall, they’ve already done a stint on the Late Late Show - Corden was their fifth member and he was unceremoniously removed from the group. It’d be a nice callback to their first skit if Corden were to pick them up from a gig and go “oh hey guys what have you been up to?” “Uhh a world tour. Yeah sorry man. So are you driving people around Uber now?” It would get laughs. Maybe they could run into Leslie Jones somewhere along the way to do a bit of promo for the new Ghostbusters movie, which they wrote Girls Talk Boys for. The song is a wonderful callback to 80s pop-punk.

DNCE

DNCE burst onto the scene in 2015 with their catchy single Cake By The Ocean and their EP SWAAY, complete with a music video featuring a beach party. They followed it up in 2016 with their single Toothbrush. They are just plain FUN. Ideally, they’d wait to do a Carpool Karaoke for when their full length album comes out (still no word on that...help us out please). Their live shows are full of the songs from their EP, along with a few covers. James can rock out with the best of them and I personally would love to hear him singing along to Cake By The Ocean. When Joe Jonas’s brother Nick did his Carpool Karaoke with Demi Lovato, they gave a shout out to the band, so maybe they could return the favor?

Shawn Mendes

Shawn Mendes, known to some as the boy wonder, is finally 18 and he has a new album coming out on September 23, 2016. He’s been on the Late Late Show previously but as a musical guest along with his duet partner, Camila Cabello of Fifth Harmony. His latest single, Treat You Better, hit the charts on June 3, 2016 and has enjoyed some good time going up and down said chart. The two would run through Mendes’s hits and I have no doubt that Corden would cover Cabello’s parts perfectly. Also, Mendes could mentor Corden on how to be a teen heartthrob, something the charming host has spoken longingly about, and Corden could teach Mendes the art of posing - Corden has been in GQ and Rolling Stone after all.

Celine Dion

This woman is a powerhouse. Celine Dion has been around since as long as I can remember and she has never wavered in her incredible stage presence and vocal prowess. She has had a rough past year or so with the deaths of her beloved husband and her older brother, but is getting back into music with the recent release of her French-language album Encore un soir and a possible new English-language album. At this week's star studded Stand Up To Cancer event, she debuted a new song written for her by none other than Pink, chills ensued. Additionally, she had some fun earlier this summer with Wheel of Musical Impressions over on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, but I think she should hop in the car with the blonde James of the West Coast. Just imagine Celine and Corden belting out My Heart Will Go On and truly getting into some of her hidden greats. She lives out in Las Vegas, so maybe James can hop a flight from LA and they can do a tour of the Strip together.

Rihanna

I don’t think anyone would disagree with me in wanting to see Rihanna in the passenger seat of Corden’s car. RiRi exudes calm, cool, and collected most of the time so it would be so fun to see her let loose a little. I’m sure that Corden would bring out her old hits, like Pon de Replay and Umbrella and would certainly belt out her recent hits like Needed Me, Work, This is What You Came For (technically a Calvin Harris song but she’s the vocal feature on it). Corden could even take on Drake’s vocals in the new release Too Good. Actually, Drake could just pop up in the backseat and Corden would be dubbed a hero for giving us the Rihanna/Drake interaction we’ve been clamoring for since they’ve appear to be all loved up. Corden has a way of putting each of his guests at ease, both on the couch at his studio and in his car. The conversation would flow and we might even get some tidbits we didn’t know.

Lady Gaga

The Lady is BACK. On September 8, 2016 Gaga released her first solo single since her album ARTPOP, released in 2014, after taking a bit of a break to do a jazz album with Tony Bennett, titled Cheek to Cheek (if you haven’t listened to this, you should) and star on the creepy but immensely popular show American Horror Story: Hotel. She’ll also be starring in the show’s fifth season. As part of her musical comeback, what better thing to do than to jump into the car with a man who’s already used to going with the flow of his guests, and even encouraging their nuttiness, I mean he put on a wig with Sia, feather boa with Elton John, and a schoolgirl uniform with Britney. Who knows what he could do with Gaga. Imagine Corden busting out Alejandro, and taking on Beyonce’s vocals in Telephone - he already did a excellent imitation of her in the show’s spoof of her Lemonade visual album.

Ed Sheeran

The Gingerman has been off the social media radar since the end of his two year world tour in 2015, but he left with a promise to return in the fall of 2016. Welp Edward my dear, it’s September 2016. I’d love to see him get in the car with Corden and belt out some of his faster paced songs such as You Need Me, I Don’t Need You, Sing, and Take It Back (the man is QUICK) while maybe giving us a taste of a new song or two. No social media means a lot of time for traveling and hopefully some time for writing. Also, anytime we get two Brits in one space, accents and banter abound, so I’m all here for this pairing.

Tori Kelly

Ms. Kelly has already done one skit with Corden for The Late Late Show - they sang for their supper at The Grove in LA but a car ride full of her songs, new and old, would be a real treat! Tori just finished up a US tour for her re-released album Unbreakable and she’s set to star in the upcoming animated movie Sing, out December 21st, in which she voices Meena, a teenage Indian elephant with an “exquisite voice, and severe stage fright.” We already know that she can match James for willing-to-do-anything-ness so let’s see what they can do whilst stuck in traffic. Corden could take on Ed Sheeran’s vocals in I Was Made For Loving You, while also exploring some of her faster songs like Unbreakable Smile and Expensive that due to not being singles, never made it to radio play.

Justin Timberlake with Anna Kendrick

Alright, alright put DOWN your pitchforks. I know you want ONLY Justin in the car but let me explain. On November 4, 2016, a delightful-looking movie called Trolls will be released and it just so happens to star Timberlake, Kendrick AND Corden. You know that insanely catchy Timberlake song Can’t Stop The Feeling? Yeah, it’s for this movie. Due to the vocal prowess of all three occupants, we could have some serious fun with this trio. Kendrick has also been a guest of the show twice, so she can show Timberlake the ropes. Old JT songs, some songs from Pitch Perfect, maybe another song from the movie. We’d get some amazing banter between the three of them and it’d be watched by nearly every person in the entire world. Trust me on this. Oh and Late Late Show? If you don’t already have this one scheduled out, I’m open to compensation talks.

BONUS

Harry Styles, Niall Horan, and Liam Payne. No, not as a group this time. At this point, One Direction’s Carpool Karaoke has been viewed over 82 million times but these guys have broken out on their own. Styles has reportedly signed a three album deal with Columbia, Payne signed a contract with Capitol UK, and Horan is rumoured to ink a deal with someone within the Universal Music Group soon. They’ll be releasing solo music so it would be pretty damn cool to see them show off their individual talents in the comfort of a car driven by an old friend.