Carnival Row

Carnival Row

This Amazon Original is a hauntingly good series!

29
Carnival Row

So I know that this show came in August of last year on Amazon Prime, but I just got around to watching last Saturday and I was hooked!! So I figured I'd talk a bit about what you need to know about the show and what it has going for it.

Carnival Row is a dark and thrilling fantasy series that is centered around the mythical creatures of the world and their interactions with humans. Set in a Victorian-style era, the creatures of the world have fled from their war-torn homeland and seek refuge in the city of Burgue. However, they soon discover that the citizens are none too happy to have to deal with their new inhabitants. The Fae have no other choice but to bow down to the subjugation and essential slavery in order to survive in their new world. When brutal murders of the Fae start popping up, it is up to one detective to solve these crimes and hunt down the elusive Jack in hopes of finding justice for the victims and hopefully bringing both sides together.

The main story is centered around detective Rycroft Philostrate (Orlando Bloom) and Vignette Stonemoss (Cara Delevingne) as they rekindle a dangerous affair while having to battle against the darkness that threatens to swallow both Fae and human alike. The flimsy "peace" the inhabitants have come to know is disrupted by a string of brutal murders revealing a monster more gruesome than anyone could imagine.

Carnival Row reels you in and drags you deeper and deeper into the sorrow and mystery with every episode. The show keeps you entertained with the ever-weaving mythological element while talking about the dark underlying social issues of racism, classism, slavery, gender equality and more. It has a unique history and culture that stand out on its own but also in some aspects that can easily mirror our own. The writers do well to establish the blending of the Victorian era style with the fantasy elements and history that come with the characters and creatures they've created. The wardrobe, special effects, and slang mix together so effortlessly it feels like that's how it always was. Each storyline for the individual characters easily overlaps into an overarching story while also being able to stand out on their own.

Every fae who resides in Burgue either has to make their living as a criminal in the underworld, become indentured servants, slaves, or end up homeless and if they are lucky enough to run their own business, the human citizens and government do everything in their power to make sure they fail. The rich survive off the backs and hard labor of the poor. Women are considered inherently subservient to men, even those in the upper class. At the end of the first season, the Fae and humans are left more divided than ever before. Each actor and actress does a wonderful job of bringing deep emotion and dimension to their characters.

Overall, Carnival Row is a really cool show that dives into the deep end on episode one. And if you can't take my word for it, then go binge-watch it on Prime and see for yourself!!