I’m Career Focused And That’s Okay

I’m Career Focused And That’s Okay

I’m 21, with a degree, a job after graduation, and strong. And I’m not sorry for not being in love.

17
I’m Career Focused And That’s Okay
Kennedy Brooks

At age 18 most seniors in high school know a few things:

1. What they are doing after high school
  2. Where they are going to their graduation party
  3. They are in a relationship with the love of their life

18-year-old me was a little different. I did not go and party after my high school graduation and I was not in a relationship. However, I did know one thing; I wanted to be a Pastry Chef at Johnson & Wales University. I knew that in four short years, I would have a degree and travel all over the States doing what I loved.

Okay, let’s fast forward those four years to the 21-year-old getting ready to start her final semester of college. I’m still that same "no relationship having and wanting to be a Pastry Chef" girl. I have gone through all four years of school not being in a serious relationship because I knew that soon the day would come where I pack up everything I own and move far away from school to start this new life. I knew no guy would ever be okay with a long-distance relationship with a headstrong girl. I knew early in life what I wanted to do and I was always focused on that one thing.

Being career focused is becoming more and more acceptable every day. How many women do you know who gave up what they wanted to be to be “that wife”? Maybe it’s your grandmother, aunt, mother, or maybe even yourself. Maybe you feel yourself losing your identity in a relationship. No one should ever have to lose who they are because of being in love.

Maybe one day I will be in that relationship. You know that can't-eat, can't-sleep, reach-for-the-stars, over-the-fence, World Series kind of stuff. (Yes, I just pulled that from the Mary-Kate & Ashley movie) Now don’t get me wrong, I love my school and my (soon-to-be) career. I know I will meet someone, someday. But until then, my pastry bags don’t snore at night.

I always knew this is what I wanted and a relationship was never a necessity. I always viewed being in a relationship would get in my way of what I wanted and how I was going to achieve it. I’m 21, with a degree, a job after graduation, and strong. And I’m not sorry for not being in love.