No Means No And My Decision Isn't Your Campaign To 'Convince Me'
relationships

The decision to break off a relationship should be respected — not seen as a challenge.

193

It's all grandiose displays of affection, holiday wishes, and public apologies courtesy of Offset that took center stage at Rolling Loud Music Festival this week.

Cardi B was supposed to headline Rolling Loud this year — something that no woman has had the honor of doing in history.

What was supposed to be a hallmark event in Cardi B's career ended up a rudely interrupted circus show that made a public laughingstock of an intimate relationship problem.

Migos member and estranged husband, Offset, has been running a bizarre campaign to win back Cardi B which reeks of toxic and manipulative stalker behavior.

What's worse is that this disgusting behavior is being glorified and justified by not only men and women over the internet, but also by high profile figures like 50 Cent, T.I., 21 Savage, and The Game who have offered their unsolicited advice to Cardi to take Offset back.

Comments on their Instagram's included "Ain't nobody perfect" and "No divorce, ok chill out."

The problem with celebrities like 50 Cent chiming in and endorsing Offset's emotionally abusive behavior reinforces just how black women are treated in relationships where they are expected to "ride or die," to suffer through relationships in order to be loved, to relentlessly offer loyalty even in the face of infidelity. Why should they?

Offset's stunt at Rolling Loud was in no way a romantic gesture — it was an aggressive play at manipulation that has existed in toxic male behavior from the start. Embarrassing Cardi B at the workplace, in front of thousands of people to get her to emotionally appeal to you so she doesn't come off as a stereotypical "angry black woman," or a "hot-headed female," as Offset's father put it, and then describing the behavior as remorse just shows how little respect there is in the relationship.

Avoidance tactics like this don't actually do the hard work of being a decent person and listening to your partner, respecting them, and giving them space to reflect on the relationship.

Someone's decision to break off a relationship should be respected, not seen as a challenge.

No means no, it's not hard to respect that.