I Can't Thank You Enough

I Can't Thank You Enough

An Open Letter to the Father I Never Had

54
I Can't Thank You Enough
Huffington Post Canada

I’m sitting in my dorm room at one of the nations greatest private universities, typing an article for one of the nations most respected online blogging platforms, studying to become a Minister, and loving every second of it all.

How did I get here? And how did I get so damn lucky?

I would be mistaken if I didn't begin to thank those people and events that have helped to mold me into the man I am today. I would also be mistaken to think that I could possibly include every single person that has helped me get this far in my life without forgetting at least one. There’s one very important person that I must extend my ever lasting thanks and gratitude toward. A thank you card to those who have helped me along the way just wouldn't be complete if I didn't thank this Individual.

This man is my father. The man I owe my entire life to for the lessons he has taught me.

Dad, you have shown me everything a man and a father should not be. I have learned so many things from my mom, and most of them were how to be a good man. But I have never learned from her what you have taught me by your lack of any kind of presence in my life.

I have learned that it is not the responsibility of my future children to form a relationship with me. I will take the initiative when that day comes.

I have learned that I will treat my partner with unconditional love and respect no matter what. This will especially take place in the presence of my children.

I have learned that my future children will be the complete and utter center of my universe and I will make them my top priority twenty four hours a day seven days a week. I will not make myself available only when it is convenient for me (and every other weekend plus Christmas Eve of course).

I have learned that children are not show ponies. They are not things that you can take to family gatherings and holidays like it’s show and tell and pretend that you're some kind of a wonderful human being because you can say you're a father.

I have learned that I will love my children unconditionally. It does not matter if they attend church every Sunday or pray regularly, they are still my children and in that they are God’s children and loved by God unconditionally.

I have learned that my children will be able to count on me. When I say something will happen at three o’clock, you can bet anything that it will. I will not show up three hours late and pretend like there was some kind of catastrophic pile up on Cline Avenue.

I have learned that my children will want me to be at all of their athletic events. I can remember sitting in my room crying when you missed my final baseball game of the year. I had forty two total games that season, you came to none, but the last one hurt the worst.

I have learned that my children will need guidance in school, in relationships, in friendships, and in real life skills. I will not be the typical deadbeat “Disneyland dad” who only shows up when things are going good. If my child is in the hospital having surgery, broke his arm, or has the flue, you can again bet anything that I will be there.

I have learned to never make promises I plan on not keeping, not instilling in my children a sense of false hope, and never to assume that my children don’t mind not getting a birthday card from their dad.

So Dad, Thank you for all you have done for me (or not done, my glass is half full here), and thank you for showing me what a man should be to his partner and children.

To those of you out there struggling with never having a father figure around, you can do it. You can learn on your own how to shave, you can learn on your own how to treat your partner, you can learn on your own how to hold the door open for a woman at the store, you can learn on your own how to be a man and a father that your children and partner can respect. You can get through life and be successful without him.

My father was never around for the vast majority of my life, and I know now that I sure as hell didn’t need him to be.