Can You Help Yourself?

Can You Help Yourself?

We need menstrual products, but condoms?

6
Free The Tampons

The ongoing discussion between giving free condoms at public schools as opposed to menstrual products shouldn't end at a standstill. According to the organization FreeTheTampons 86% of women in the United States reported that they've started their period in public without being prepared with the necessary supplies. 48% of these women try to obtain their products from dispensers in public restrooms, with only a disappointing 8% saying they actually worked!

In my experience, and I'm sure other young women's alike, I've searched for menstrual refuge in my school's nurses office only to find out that they charge for something I absolutely need-because every demographic can agree feminine hygiene products are a necessity not luxury. However, when requested, condoms are given out without charge for the sake of promoting protection. Why do we provide for what can be helped on it's own and not for what cannot?

Menstrual necessities are only disclosed once in a blue moon (when there's those elementary and middle school presentations that are so without detail you leave wondering what you actually learned). Should we assume it's because society considers it taboo and "it's something only to be discussed behind closed doors"? There shouldn't be any disfigurement in the discussion of something so essential to young women of the world. New York City, council member Julissa Ferreras-Copeland, agrees.

Her efforts, as well as New York City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito and members Ydanis Rodriguez and Daniel Fromm, ensure that women of New York City in schools, shelters, and jails get an adequate supply of hygiene products for free. This is definitely a revolutionary cause, something that every council should take into account considering people are tired of paying for something fundamental and unavoidable.

The real question lies within the actual fact that sex isn't hard to refrain from, yet it's tended to more in society than a normal human function. Although we should promote healthy relationships and protection as necessary actions, it shouldn't stop us from addressing a valuable need. It being period needs.

The burden that comes with paying for menstrual products (and don't get started with the symptoms) only comes to women and men transitioning, it's only fair we either reduce the taxes on them or... make them free!