Can Money Buy Happiness?

Can Money Buy Happiness?

take time to smell the roses.

23
Can Money Buy Happiness?

Is happiness a feeling that one can truly categorize and define? To each of us happiness varies in meaning. To me happiness is many things. It's the look on someone’s face when their eyes light up in such excitement and a sense of joy fills the room when their favorite song comes on. It’s that grin that spreads across my face when I realize that the cherry trees across the pond have blossomed. It’s that sense of glee when I hear that one of my friends has good news. The sloppy wet kisses my puppy gives me after returning home from college as he sprints at me the moment I walk in the door. His whole body reacts to our reunion as his tail wags in unison with his torso. It is the little things, which don’t receive as much recognition until looked at closer, that make life important and wonderful.

Happiness is many things. It is universal. Surprise, sadness, anger, disgust, and fear are all recognized across the world. Sometimes contempt is additionally seen similarly by all as well. All of these expressions are acknowledged across countries, but the most recognized is happiness. This is a beautiful thing that no matter what your coordinates are, just the slight smile and curve to the lips is accepted and seen the same in all eyes. If you don’t know the language, a welcoming smile will do. It is something that we as humans can all agree upon, even though we do have our differences, happiness stays constant.

Even though happiness is a universal expression, how does it differ depending on a country's status economically? For an individual living in a developing country versus one living in a developed country, the concept of happiness varies. In the US, most people see money as success and success as leading to happiness. Overall, it's the things that one buys that will cause them to be happy. As much as this is true, it does not necessarily have to be the be the end all. On the other hand, people who live in developing countries who cannot afford as much are grateful to wake up each day, be able to feed their family, and provide for the future. Developing countries are a work in progress and path of survival. Countries that are already developed are mostly steady and looking to advance farther, but unlike developing countries they have more resources and less restrictions to do so. Each day for those living in developing countries is extremely opposite than a day living in the US for me.

So, since there is a gap in economic ability between these two types of living styles, it must affect what they see as happiness. Yes, a smile is universal, but what is it that causes that grin? In the US, most people are too focused on being able to afford an item, instead of the item itself causing happiness. Is it the purchase of flowers that makes one happy since they get to showcase them and can afford them? On the contrary is it the beauty of the lilies that cause one to think of a memory of running through a field at five years old or a past anniversary with a spouse?

I could image that it is the small things, like a rainstorm so crops can grow or a breathtaking sunset that causes a smile in countries that unfortunately do not have the means to buy desires on a whim. It should be the things in life that are free that cause that giddy bubbling enjoyment feeling inside. Living in the US is a fortunate privilege to attain, so one moment at a time attempt to grown an appreciation and recognition of the small thing in life.

In the end it is not the green paper that equals happiness, instead it is nature and people who make happiness a miracle within itself.