My First Year of Being a Campus Tour Guide
Education

To Every New Sun Devil, You're Gonna Have A Hell Of A Time — Sincerely, An ASU Campus Tour Guide

My journey through my first year of college and being a tour guide on campus.

156
Michael Gutnick of Patricia Vicente

I remember when I did my first campus tour on my own as an Arizona State tour guide and how scared I was about having to lead a group of complete strangers through my school for a whole hour. Thinking back on it, I am pretty sure I even forgot some of the information I was supposed to give them at specific locations around the campus.

While it might have been nerve-racking for me the first couple of times, it quickly became something I could do with ease and be proud of.

As the tours went on, I began answering the tough questions with more ease and was even able to connect with my groups a bit more. Making both the students and parents comfortable with the college campus environment.

Often times, most people visiting college campuses will only be able to connect with students from the campus during this one occasion. If colleges even allow students to give campus tours.

As a tour guide, it is your job to represent your school and campus in the best possible way. Make sure the students visiting feel comfortable with the environment, and if they don't, then help them find a campus that does.

Remember, you were one of them not too long ago.

From the 20+ tours I did throughout my first year, I have three proud moments from all of them.

The first one was when I was called last minute to do a tour in Phoenix heat that included around 60 people. I had never done a tour that big before and quickly feared that I would not be able to complete it within an hour. Well, guess what? I did do it and while I might have been pretty tired by the end of it, the pride quickly washed over it.

The second and third moment can be combined because it is basically the same situation, just with different people. It is also what I am most proud of.

Both of those situations included me giving tours, as usual, and making friends with some students that are interested in my own major and feel comfortable enough to ask me to be their first friend on the campus. However, that is not all I am proud of. I am proud of when they messaged me to tell me that they will be coming to my campus in the Fall and send me pictures of themselves at their student orientation. The excitement and curiosity seen in their eyes and smiles.

Those are the moments to be proud of.

When YOUR tour was the one that had somewhat of an impact over their decision to come to your college campus to further their education.

Your impact can be as simple as giving them a smile, asking for their name, or even giving them some inside tips they might need if they do come on campus for school.

Over the course of my first year of being a Devils' Advocate, as we call ourselves, I have learned a lot about myself and the amazing campus I call home.

I learned to overcome my fear of big crowds, become more comfortable directing a group of people and have learned how to do the most in the time given.

Also, I was reminded of why I chose this school and campus in the first place.

College is not easy. Especially when you are an out-of-state student and a first-generation college student. It can get tough, but when I give tours and talk about the great things my university and campus have to offer, it is like I am reminded of why I am doing what I am doing.

I am reminded of why I call Arizona State my new home.

Never would I have thought, coming into my first year of college, that I would become a campus tour guide. Now that I look back on it, I am actually quite glad I did. It has allowed me to grow as a person and has allowed me to show other people the wonders of being a Sun Devil.