Camp Kesem: A USC Inspiration

Camp Kesem: A USC Inspiration

How one USC organization is making a huge difference in the community.

35
Camp Kesem: A USC Inspiration

There are many reasons to love USC, but above all, its service organizations have become a highlight of the Trojan family experience. An amazing thing about this campus is that it incorporates service into almost every realm of the university. No matter your major, interests, or talents, there is a place for you to give back here, either locally or globally.

I personally have been involved in a few, but one that has recently stood out to me is an organization called Camp Kesem. A few good friends of mine are involved, and it has risen to the top of my list of incredible things here that USC does for the people who need help in the world.

Camp Kesem is a national organization with a chapter here at USC run by our ever-talented and motivated students. Their goal? To raise money through various fundraisers for to provide the means to send children aged 6-16 to summer camp. The most incredible part of this organization is the children they are helping. These kids and teens come from families affected by cancer.

These children are often considered the "invisible" victims of cancer since their lives are sometimes overlooked due to the necessary emphasis on the adults or other family members going through the illness. The struggles of their families can tear apart their childhood, and often there are little similarities between their lives and those of regular kids their age.

Camp Kesem strives to provide these children with a sanctuary so they can truly have fun and learn to be a kid again. The children are also exposed to others who have experienced similar circumstances, uniting them in a way that encourages growth, healing, and self-confidence so that they can return to their lives and move forward as best as possible.

This is only the fourth year of Camp Kesem here at USC, and members are already projecting 75 campers and five counselors in training. It costs roughly $750 to send a child to camp, so the fundraising for this project is no small task.

However, Camp Kesem and its fearless student leaders have created a cocktail gala entitled Make the Magic that happens every year and serves as the organizations greatest source of funds. This year, the event will be held on April 16 from 6 to 9 p.m. at the amazing L.A. Mother in Hollywood.

The event will be one for the years, featuring a roaring '20s theme and a menu full of classic food options. Silent auction, lantern making, and a photo booth will all be available for guests to enjoy, but most importantly, there will be testimonials from two past campers and families. You can even contribute to more than one cause at the venue if you are so inclined.

USC presents many opportunities for all its students. For some, the academics are the main focus, and yet there are millions of chances for us to give back to the community that has helped us become so successful as well. I know I'll be attending this event, helping to raise at least half of the funds necessary to help change the lives of these kids. Purchase a ticket online and help this event have a great show-out from the USC community. More importantly, help humble yourself and remind those around you that we are so lucky in this life. Let's help those who aren't.