How Being A Camp Counselor Changed My Life

A True Life Changing Experience

419
Harry Zweckbronner

“Are you comfortable being in the woods?” Asked my future boss, Harry Zweckbronner into the telephone. Suddenly, my palms began to sweat as I thought to myself, am I really okay with it? Should I be honest or should I stretch the truth? I mean, what are the odds that I’ll actually have to work in the woods. “Sure. I live in a rural area. So I’m totally comfortable being in the woods,” was my response. But little did Harry know I rarely went outside and when I did, it generally wasn’t to venture off into the woods in my mom’s backyard.

Sure enough, I got the job as a Camp Counselor at Camp Hanover, located in Mechanicsville, VA. According to their website, Camp Hanover’s mission is to “provide a place apart for renewal and growth in an environment of Christian hospitality.” So I went in with one goal in mind—build a better relationship with God.

After reviewing all of my documents and getting them filled out, I was ready to embark on the two-month journey. Day One, I showed up to camp in jeans and combat boots. The first people I got to meet were Harry and one of the Unit Directors, Chloe. Chloe had a very strong Scottish accent and a smile so big. However, to see her smile as if she had known me for years was initially confusing.

When I walked into Wise Lodge, where we would have meals, I was so happy to see my cousin and her boyfriend then, Jourdan. We sat down and filled out some more forms before going outside to play a game with the other staff members. The field where we played our game was huge and the sun was just beating down on my neck. And in that moment, I began wishing I had worn capris or shorts.

The next two weeks of staff orientation were the hardest two weeks of my life. “Bzzzz, bzzzz,” were the sounds of bees that would constantly zip past my ears and make me duck in fear. I had never been stung by a bee and I refused for that summer to be the first time it happened. I also noticed some coworkers, who weren’t wearing bug spray, were getting their legs eaten up. And I refused to be the next victim so I told myself, “I’m wearing jeans and boots all summer.”

Fast forward to the day I met George Macaulay. George was this funny guy from Poland that was crazy smart. One day we were walking in the woods, with another Unit Director named Laura, and George kept stopping to take pictures of trees and branches.

Each time he would stop in front of me, I would just think what is so interesting about a pile of leaves or dangling branches? Later on, that night when we talked about our highs and lows, George let everyone know how he thought nature was just so fascinating. And in that moment I realized that although something as small as a pine needle doesn’t seem cool to me, it made George so happy.

Another day we had to practice rescuing campers whose canoes flipped. This was also in preparation for the canoe trip we were going on. To say my stomach was doing backflips, was an understatement.

I knew I couldn’t swim, but I refused to sit out while everyone else did it. So after I put on my life jacket and grabbed my paddle, I nervously got into my boat with my partner, Madison Coleman. Madison was a very soft-spoken sweetheart and because she and I also slept in the same cabin, I felt comfortable being in a canoe with her.

“1,2,3,” said Madison and I in unison before our boat flipped and we hopped into the lake. Immediately I began to panic. Suddenly I not only forgot I was wearing a life jacket but I also forgot everything I had been taught beforehand and became convinced that I was going to drown. All I could hear was Madison calmly telling me that I was okay while desperately trying to hold onto the canoe.

Eventually, another Unit Director, Kaylyn Mcghee swam over to help out. Kaylyn was literally the sweetest person ever. I’ll never forget those two women, along with Michael Willis. Michael was another Unit Director who hailed from my hometown, Farmville, VA. And despite my canoe flipping multiple times during the canoe trip, Michael was always there making sure I was safe.

Another Unit Director that changed my life was Laura Pearson. Initially, I was totally intimated by her strong personality. However, I’ll never forget when I got to see her smile at the mudslide. I wanted to cry tears of joy because I just felt like it was a rare moment. One evening I remember telling her that I didn’t think I could stay at camp because of all the bees.

She told me, “It really gets better over time and I hope it doesn’t make you want to leave.” It is because of Laura that I realized something huge about myself—when I focus too much on a negative aspect of life, God constantly sends me a reminder until I stop paying it any attention. So when I stopped paying the bees any attention, they went away.

Unit Director Emma Warman also blessed my entire life. From day one, I’ll never forget her and Laura seeming genuinely interested in knowing about my life. Though I was quiet, I felt more comfortable opening up to them. I’ll never forget one week I had a really tough time, but Emma was right there every step of the way. Emma also helped me to realize that I have an issue with speaking up when I’m upset about things. For that, I am forever grateful.

I’ll also never forget when one of my coworkers told me that Thomas, who worked in the kitchen alongside Ms. Cindy and helped out with programs, really liked me. I was told that his exact words were “Ahniaelyah really does what she’s asked to do.” And in that moment I realized my purpose for coming to Camp Hanover.

Initially, when I came, I didn’t know who I was and I didn’t understand what made people like Adam Compton and Unit Director Chloe so happy. It was because Camp Hanover really serves as a getaway spot for one to truly grow.

When I left for RA training and saw that gate that said, “Go and serve,” I truly felt as if I had a purpose in life. Since camp, I have also stopped wearing jeans and combat boots every day and I speak up a lot more. Quitting wasn’t an option and I’m very happy I took a chance and became comfortable with being in the woods.