A Call to Those Who are Tired of the Media Stereotypes

Our duty as Asians to fix the awareness

10

A few weeks ago I took the time to address the issue I found with Hollywood casting and the images it portrays of people of color, and more specifically about the representation that Asians have within media. While the changes seem to be happening, the unfortunate aspect of this is that it is progressing too slowly for any type of real change to occur. And that is a huge red flag to the Hollywood community and its methods of “making money.” It breaks down to the fact that Hollywood doesn’t find Asian actors and actresses to be financial worth it. While that is the bulk of the issue, the other side of it all is the fact that, we, the Asian community, are ok with all of this. Now, I’m not speaking to or about those who have voiced themselves. I know there are plenty of people out there doing their best to change the representation that Asian actors have come across, but I want to direct this towards those who are ok with this status quo we have in media.

I hear it too often and it bothers me more and more as time goes on, but when I bring up this issue of Hollywood representation amongst friends, the first replies are always, “Who cares?” And that stings to the core because I freaking care, and I know I am not the only one. The days of Long Duk Dong are gone and we get to see new characters represent Asians in a better light, but when will it be ok for an Asian actor to take the lead role and be the main perspective? Yes, Asian actors have found a better place in movies as actors like BD Wong, Byung Hun Lee, and Daniel Dae Kim have taken on some “badass” roles in their movies and TV shows (to be fair BD Wong usually only plays smart scientists/doctors, but what’s not badass about that?). But for every badass supporting role we see Asians fulfill, we come across more stereotypically racist b.s. from people like Jesse Watters and his “Chinatown” segment on the equally racist “O’Reilly Factor.” If you haven’t seen the segment, here is the video below. It’s a cringe worthy segment where Jesse Watters seems to target the stereotypical members of the community and does nothing more than to help that stereotype. Seriously?

And I have friends who find this funny. It’s not. It really freaking is not. Asians have been the butt of every media driven joke for some time, and things haven’t gotten any better apparently. From the days of Long Duk Dong to Chris Rock’s racially driven jokes on the Oscar stage and now to Jesse Watters’ unacceptable walkthrough of Chinatown, which he thinks represents all of China, all of this needs to stop.

Now, I am not equating the Black Lives Matter movement to this issue of misrepresentation in American media, but the majority response to active awareness is taking the same method. After Black Lives Matter emerged there have been two other groups who have come up, which are Blue Lives Matter and All Lives Matter. While yes, it is true that all lives do matter, but the problem with that is it deters everyone from the real problem at hand. Black Lives Matter is simply a stance of awareness for those who do not clearly see the racial issues that stand in society. It isn’t ONLY Black Lives Matter nor is it Blue Lives DON’T Matter, it’s simply Black Lives Matter and all they want is the respect and awareness that they deserve. Now, as I said before, I am not equating the merciless problem that some police officers seem to have with black people, but why is it that every time some type of mention or awareness needs to be raised about other people of color, the majority seem to swoop in and do their best to dumb down or find the most superficial ways of representing a culture. There is more to the Asian culture than martial arts, “weird” food, and broken English, and it pains me to say that I don’t know if people realize that.

Docility has been the key trait that the Caucasian nation have hung over the Asian culture in America, and that needs to stop. So, I am simply making a rally call for those who want this misrepresentation to stop to help those who have begun this movement for change. Support the works of other Asian writers/directors/thinkers who are working hard to deter this cultural snafu. I find it difficult to swallow when my father tells me that I would fail in the world of Hollywood simply because he does not see a plethora of Korean or Asian movie directors in Hollywood. His perspective on Asians and the media is what we, the second generation, should strongly stray away from. We are members of vastly different yet beautiful cultures. So if you’re Asian, and you have a goal to help this representational issue, please continue to work. Don’t let the superficial nature of execs and Hollywood racists deter you from achieving your goals. Keep working because it will come into fruition, and don’t let it be ok to let Asians be the racially comedic relief for people’s bland lives.

To help appease your discomfort with the Jesse Watters segment, Ronny Chieng, a correspondent on the Daily Show, has given his own response segment. Check it out below.