If Someone You Care About Is Hurting You, Call Them Out

Your happiness is worth losing a friend or two.
146

We've all been there; someone we care about does something that hurts our feelings. It's a hard situation, especially if you don't know whether or not it was done purposefully to hurt you.

We live in a world where communication is a foreign concept to many, making these situations extremely common. When this happens, you're left wondering what your role was in the situation. What prompted this person to do such a thing?

You'll sit there wondering what you could have possibly done to cause this to happen. But here's the thing, it's rarely ever your fault. Unless you know for a fact that you did something to prompt their hurtful actions or words, odds are their decision was made completely on their own.

Not only does this world lack communication, but it also lacks empathy for others. People do things for their own benefit, neglecting to think how their actions may affect others, especially those closest to them. It's ridiculous when these "slip-ups" in thought range from forgetting to text back to sleeping with someone's significant other.

I've realized, after many years of dealing with thoughtless people, that calling someone out on their bullshit is the right way to handle these situations. Why would you allow someone to think they can get away with treating you like garbage?

At first, it can be daunting. It's hard to stand up for yourself, especially when your friend's motives are unknown. I'll admit, it's easier when you know for a fact you've been played for a fool. I'm not saying it is a good idea to go after someone with claws drawn because it's not.

If you're going to call someone out, be as polite as you can without being a pushover. Being polite will give you a certain edge. Think about it as the perpetrator in this situation; the person you thought you could screw over was called out and still remained super calm about it... I'd be terrified.

After you've called them out, their reactions may vary. They may realize you're not a force to be reckoned with, and they may never betray you again, or, the more likely reaction, they completely freak out, knowing they're in the wrong, and ignore you from then on.

Calling someone out definitely means risking losing them, and as scary as that may seem, I think it's worth it. After someone has hurt you, why would you want them back into your life? I know I wouldn't want to be associated with someone who ignores my feelings.

So do it; call them out. Your happiness is worth losing a friend or two.