Call Me A Bible Thumper, I Dare You

Call Me A Bible Thumper, I Dare You

I promise I can be a "cool" God lover if you just give me the chance....

448
Brendan Capuano

Bible Thumper - A mega-right wing Christian wacko. Believes their life must be based on the Bible. The same goes for our government, it will be based on the Bible. Usually a homophobic, pro-life, redneck idiot.

Call me a Christian wacko for loving God, I dare you. So many times I have sat down with a group of peers and told them what my vocation is and then followed up with, "but don't worry I am not a Bible Thumper (Christian Wacko) though. I promise, I am cool just like the rest of you. I am just a typical college kid, but I mean I guess I love God too. I promise I can be a 'cool' God lover if you just give me the chance to prove it."

It is always a statement of praise to God followed by a "but," and thinking about it more, how is that fair to you or God? That constant defense of throwing a "but" at the end of your praise needs to be eliminated, and for once I am not afraid of stating that in its fullness. Yeah, I guess I am a Bible Thumper, and guess what? I don't care what judgement that brings. Even though the judgement is completely skewed.

I love God and I love the message He has for all of us. So many people (because I know I am not alone) live their faith in reservation or alone. This is my invitation to all of you to break through society's stigma and release yourself from the chains of your insecurities. I will be the first to admit that I am always afraid to share my faith outside of those who are in my faith "bubble." But how is that fair to those who are also are afraid to speak out and express their faith?

I am not here to preach to you about how my God is great (even though He is). I am here to encourage a dialogue among all of you that provokes a question of a life filled with any faith. Like I stated above, a Bible Thumper by (Urban Dictionary) definition is a Christian wacko who believes their life must be based off the Bible, and the rest of the world needs to also. I am not going to deny that there are people out there like that, but please let me introduce to you the Millennial Bible Thumpers. We are rich, closed minded, uber-conservative Bible Thumpers, but rather people who focus on spirituality with one's relationship with God versus the politics and biblical text.

The millennial Bible Thumper is confused. We are confused with the Christian taint that comes with our love for God. We are seen as uneducated, overbearing, brainwashed children who somehow still have a faith in this world of hate. We have people who tell us that we are crazy for still being a part of the church or for still believing in a God because, of course, science or something else has proven otherwise. There are all these studies out that our generation is leaving the church, and in all reality it is because we are being shamed for staying. We are the outsiders who just keep our mouths shut and just live a life of faith with the hope that no one questions them.

I don't know if this is how you feel, but I for sure have felt that way for many years at this point, until now. I am no longer going to hide in the corner in my comfortable place, and instead put myself in a place of vulnerability in the hopes that it brings others out too.

I know that there are some of you out there who feel the same way I do. Know that, yeah, we might be the odd man out in the crowd sometimes, but we are never the odd man out in God's eyes. There are amazing people who love you for who you are and respect you for the faith that you have. I invite you to embrace the love you have for God as He embraces the love He has for you. Do not be afraid to plow down the rock, of society's stereotypes, until it bares. Allow Him to work through you, and sooner rather than later you will see the light behind the insecurities that block your way. Like He says...

"Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand" - Isaiah 41:10.