A California Playlist To Get You Through The Winter

For when you're California dreamin'.

8
FlagLane

As winter is fast approaching and we find ourselves beginning to panic about end of semester deadlines, it's hard not to let your mind wander to simpler times when the weather was warmer and the responsibilities were fewer and further between.

California is a land that has come to epitomize a more laid back and sun-kissed way of life. If you're seeking to drown out your end of semester blues in some good tunes, look no further than this fun, Pacific-oriented playlist. Whether your head is buried in the snow, in the books, or both, you're sure to find one or two new jams in the eclectic mix that follows.

"California" by Joni Mitchell

A fun track from one of the most critically acclaimed singer-songwriters of all time.

Highlight lyric: "Reading the news and it sure looks bad. They won't give peace a chance. That was just a dream some of us had."

"California Love" by 2Pac, Dr. Dre, and Roger Troutman

Because California knows how to party.

Highlight lyric: "We in that sunshine state with a bomb a** hemp beat. The state where you never find a dance floor empty."

"California Dreamin'" by the Mamas and the Papas

This track is truly an American folk-rock standard.

"I'd be safe and warm if I was in L.A. California dreamin' on such a winter's day."

"Dani California" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

Not technically about California, but still a jam.

Highlight lyric: "Looking down the barrel of a hot bell forty-five. Just another way to survive."

"Hotel California" by Eagles

A timeless California-based song from a timeless California-based band.

Highlight lyric: "I was thinking to myself, 'This could be heaven or this could be Hell.'"

"California" by Grimes

This art pop track is absolutely infectious.

Highlight lyric: "And when the ocean rises up above the ground, maybe I'll drown in California. You only like me when you think I'm looking sad."

"California Gurls (feat. Snoop Dogg)" by Katy Perry

Because sometimes you just want to listen to brainless pop music.

Highlight lyric: "Sun-kissed skin so hot we'll melt your popsicle."

"California" by Metro Station

For when you're longing for a west-bound road trip.

Highlight lyric: "We don't need a map and you can throw your phone away. We don't wanna hear the things you know they're gonna say."

"California" by blink-182

Get angsty with this mellow and somewhat sarcastic jam.

Highlight lyric: "Good things haven't happened yet. I'm empty as a movie set. It's what I've always wanted."

"California Girls" by the Beach Boys

An upbeat track with some entertainingly problematic lyrics.

Highlight lyric: "The West coast has the sunshine."

"California Kids" by Weezer

If anyone knows how to bang out a good Cali themed track, it's definitely the guys who also brought us everyone's middle school anthem "Beverly Hills."

Highlight lyric: "If you're up all night thinking about some thing you did, the California kids will show you the sunshine."

"Going to California" by Led Zeppelin

Even these Londoners know that you go to California when trying to cure heartache.

Highlight lyric: "Spent my days with a woman unkind, smoked my stuff and drank all my wine. Made up my mind to make a new start–going to California with an aching in my heart."

"West Coast" by The Neighbors

California might not be directly in the title of this track, but its raw lyrics are relevant nevertheless.

Highlight lyric: "They say it's happy here; happiness is figurative. I'm happy 'cause of me, doesn't matter where I'm living."