By Way Of California: Part 2

By Way Of California: Part 2

A continuation of my interview with Adam Martino about his decision to join the Army.

8
By Way Of California: Part 2
Adam Martino

I recently interviewed Adam on his thoughts about moving across the country. It's come to my attention that people have more questions for him. He's agreed to answer the questions that have come up (I may have sweetened the deal with the promise of a Cookout milkshake).

Q: So how do you feel that people want to hear more about your life?

Adam: I don't know, it's cool. What do they want to know?

Q: The big question was: what do you do now?

Adam: I am an imagery analyst in the US Army, and I'm a paratrooper.

Q: What made you decide that's what you wanted to do?

Adam: When I was little, I'd always like to play army man. It was something that interested me from a young age. I guess as I got older, I wanted to do something that I felt like would make a difference. Specifically for that (writer's note: his job), the name caught my attention because I have a degree in animation. Animation is making pictures move and so then I googled what the job was and it seemed like it was something that would interest me.

Q: And what did you study at Loyola Marymount?

Adam: I got a bachelor's degree in Animation, specifically film animation.

Q: How do you feel your degree helps you with your current work?

Adam: I guess for one I'm just really good at using computer programs. They're not the same ones, but a lot of shortcuts are the same. But also it being an animation degree, I've always been looking at images. So I'm accustomed to looking at details and that's key to being an imagery analyst.

Q: What were your expectations when you joined the Army?

Adam: I don't really know what I was expecting getting into it, but I was expecting getting to see new places—which I definitely get to do—and I was expecting to work out a lot more than I did. I was also expecting a lot more negative things that a lot of people complain about but I don't find true.

Q: What negative things did people complain about that you don't agree with?

Adam: I guess it's mainly people complaining about "oh, I can't wait to get out." People also complain about leadership and getting tasked on stupid details—which the details do suck—but it's not the end of the world. For some reason, people complain that they don't have money, which I find ridiculous. A lot of it is also different unit-to-unit. I know my unit probably seems like it's more relaxed than other units.

Q: What's something you get to do that you never imagined before joining?

Adam: Jumping out of airplanes! I'm actually very afraid of heights, but I love jumping out of a plane and that doesn't scare me at all.

Q: Do you want to make the Army your career?

Adam: That's what I'm planning on right now. I really like my job so far. Originally, I was thinking of going pilot if I didn't like my job, but I really do like it. There's still a lot of opportunities for things to do, so I'm just kind of going.

Q: I know you and I have talked about this before, but other people have asked: If you weren't doing what you're doing now, what do you think you would be doing?

Adam: I really don't know. Trying to find some type of animation job, or I'd be working for my dad. He has a landscaping business.