7 Of The Best Nontraditional Christmas Movies

It's not like Christmas at all.

60

November is basically over, which means that we are about to be attacked with the holiday season. Among the family drama and bloodthirsty shoppers, there is one thing we all can’t avoid: Christmas movies. Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, we have all seen and know at least one Christmas movie. Some of them are well done, while others seem like they were made in your parents’ basement. But nonetheless, they all tend to leave us with that warm holiday feeling - or do they? Some movies use Christmas as the perfect backdrop for a film, but don’t make us want to sit down with a hot chocolate and sing carols. Here is my list of the seven best non-Christmas movies based around Christmas.

7. "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"

One of my favorite movies gets to make this list. Shane Black’s directorial debut is a crime noir in the heart of Los Angeles. It stars Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer as a private eye and a thief who get mixed up in a murder mystery. We start off at a Christmas party and that theme carries throughout its entirety. Our femme fatale wears sexy Christmas lingerie, while our two heroes form an unlikely friendship that can only resemble that of two cousins who never speak, suddenly becoming best friends. The story itself is that of a “whodunit,” but we can't deny the holiday atmosphere that surrounds the entire film. Throughout each corner our heroes are in danger, but no matter how serious each scene gets, we still smile and laugh it off because of the Christmas vibe that has taken over. "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" is not an anti-Christmas movie, but in fact a film that reinforces all the themes that come along with ol’ Saint Nick. "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" is nothing more than three individuals finding friendship during the year's most chaotic time.

6. "Gremlins"

Christmas is a time of year for gift giving (oh, and being with family too), but what if that gift you cherished so much as a kid tries to kill you? Sounds like holiday fun! Well that’s exactly what Chris Columbus and Joe Dante gave us back in 1984. "Gremlins" at its root is just about a struggling father wanting to find the perfect Christmas gift for his son. Isn’t that sweet? Well it was, until the cute little Mogwai gives birth to several demonic creatures out for blood. But what makes "Gremlins" such a fun Christmas movie is the fact that it comes from the unexpected. Yes, we are told in the beginning not to get Mogwai wet or feed him after midnight, but when do we ever expect such an adorable creature to turn into a bloodthirsty monster? Nothing will ever beat the scene of the old
lady ready to yell at the Christmas carolers only to find herself against three evil Gremlins all decked in holiday gear. It's far from a horror film, but instead an outrageous dark comedy about not taking care of your presents. So you better keep an eye on those Tickle-me Elmos, kids!

5. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"

The most heartfelt movie on the list. There's only one scene that takes place during Christmastime, but it truly stands out. We all know the story of the boy who lived, but I must say this is a movie I watch every Christmastime, because it not only gives me that warm feeling, but Hogwarts itself reminds me of the holidays. There is something about watching large groups of people from all different backgrounds come together that speaks holiday spirit. The scene, as we all know, is that Harry doesn’t have a “family” to go home to for the holidays, so he walks out into the snow and lets his owl Hedwig soar into the sky. There is something so poetic about this scene that embodies the spirit of Christmas and the holiday season as a whole. People my age watched Harry grow up with their families, and that is what the holiday season is all about. We feel for Harry and, in doing so, connect with those closest to us and realize how important they are. Dang it Harry, making me get all emotional and such.

4. "Eyes Wide Shut"

Enough sappiness (talking to you Potter), my next film is far from romantic. "Eyes Wide Shut"in my mind is Kubrick’s masterpiece. For those of you who haven’t seen it (and I assume that’s everyone reading this)," Eyes Wide Shut"follows a doctor played by Tom Cruise over one night as he tries to push all his boundaries after finding out his wife cheated on him. Yes, none of this sounds pleasant, but that’s what makes the movie so brilliant. It takes place during what is supposed to be the happiest time of the year and instead drops a bomb into Tom Cruise’s character's life. Throughout the night, Cruise encounters strange and heartless characters all trying to celebrate the holiday in their own fashion. In almost every shot, we are given a Christmas tree or Santa-like figure to play on the fact that even during the happiest of times, there are those who are lost. The greatest scene comes at the end (spoiler alert, deal with it) where Cruise and his wife (Nicole Kidman) are with their daughter shopping at a toy store. We see all the toys and know that it's supposed to represent innocence, but instead we are given two of the most corrupt people trying to navigate their lives during a season of joy. If only they had any.

3. "Catch Me If You Can"

There have been numerous times where I have to defend this movie as a Christmas movie, but hear me out. "Catch Me If You Can" is one of Spielberg’s most entertaining films, but it is not due to DiCaprio or Hank’s performance. Instead, it's because of the emotions that allow the movie to flow. And these emotions are based around the sole idea that a boy wants to come home for Christmas. "Catch Me If You Can"follows a young Frank Abagnale, a thief who pretends to be a slew of people while avoiding FBI agent Carl Hanratty. This doesn’t seem like it has anything to do with Christmas, but digest this: Abagnale and Hanratty form a relationship throughout the years, their cat and mouse relationship grows, and each year Abagnale calls Hanratty on Christmas. Does he do this just taunt the FBI agent for not being able to catch him? No, he does this because like every one of us, he just wants to be able to connect with someone during the holiday season. There is a great scene in the film where Hanratty tells Abagnale that he expected his call because it's Christmas and that he calls because he has nobody else to talk to. This scene can bring tears to anyone with a heart, because it touches on our feelings of how good it is to be able to have loved ones during Christmastime. Another powerful scene is when Abagnale returns to his mother’s house during Christmas to see that his mother has remarried and has a new family. It sounds like a huge downer, but it reminds us of how important family is during Christmas or any holiday season. That to me is what the holidays are all about.

2. "Iron Man 3"

The second film on the list directed by Shane Black (the man likes Christmas). "Iron Man 3", the third film telling Tony Stark’s story takes the man behind the suit and brings him on a Dickens-like tale. In the movie Tony has to face an enemy from his past, which seems typical for a superhero film. However, like Ebeneezer Scrooge, Tony has to face all the people he has once wronged when he was a greedy and arrogant man. One of the best moments in the movie is when Tony crashes in the outskirts of a small Tennessee town that is full of snow, Christmas lights, and locals preparing to celebrate the holiday. Just as one does around the holidays, Tony must rely on the kindness of a young boy if he wants his journey to continue. The holiday traditions don’t just stop there in the movie: Tony dances with his robots to “Jingle Bells," makes fun of a kid for looking like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story", and discovers what it means to be a good person. Okay, so maybe that last one doesn’t exactly happen. He is still playboy Tony Stark after all, but "Iron Man 3" is all about Tony Stark and a re-evaluation of who he is during one of the most selfless holidays of the year. As the man himself puts it, “And so as Christmas morning began, my journey had reached its end.”

1. "Die Hard"

At number one we have the ultimate bad-ass Christmas movie. From now on you must think of Bruce Willis's bloody face and Hans Gruber when you think of Christmas. "Die Hard" is not only the pivotal action movie, but it's also the perfect example of a movie that takes Christmas and hangs it on its toes. "Die Hard"stars Bruce Willis as John McClane, a NYPD cop who must save his estranged wife and colleagues at a Christmas party being held hostage by German terrorists. I promise you, "Die Hard"is nothing but pure fun. It takes every cliche you love in action films and creates its own beautiful film. There are tons of explosions and gunfire, but none that distract you from the simple plot of a husband trying to save his wife. "Die Hard", like most Christmas movies, allows us to give in to the disbelief and gives us the opportunity to explore the holiday season through the chaotic atmosphere that exists among every shopping center. And if that wasn't enough, it has Professor Snape as the bad guy! If you have not seen "Die Hard",I highly recommend it becoming your family friendly movie of the season. You won't regret it. Yippie Ki Yay Christmas Lovers!