The Dreaded Question...What's Your Major?

Why I hate confessing that I am a business major.

69
Julienne Shih original illustration Background modified by Liv Michota

College students are all well aware of the stereotypes associated with the different majors. Nursing majors are the equivalent of the high school mean girl, engineering majors are the geeks with questionable social skills, and environmental science majors are the quirky, anti-capitalist stoners. The list goes on... not to mention when business majors are brought up.

The common stereotype of a business major tends to be the lazy fraternity guy only interested in partying who is set to inherit Daddy's company. They are the "bros" of our society. The ones who have competitions about which girl they can bang and value the prospect of wealth significantly more than the lives and interests of others. White supremacist, chauvinistic assholes: this tends to be the common description when you ask others' opinions of business majors.

Most people I come across are genuinely shocked when they find out I am a business major. They typically assume I am studying something in communications or even psychology. However, it's never business. I can't even count the number of times people said "oh really" or "yikes" in a mocking negative tone when they discover the truth. If I'm being honest, I have even changed the subject or avoided the question completely in fear of judgment.

I have had doubts about my major for a long time. Am I actually passionate about business, or am I just in it for the financial prospects? Would I be better off pursuing my dream of becoming a writer? I know I wanted to find a place where I truly "fit" in. When I look around a classroom filled with white guys from fairly well-off families sporting their Gucchi slides, Versace watches, and Louis Vuitton backpacks, I wonder whether I am cut out for a life of false smiles, pretending to enjoy becoming a corporate monkey.

Whirling in my own self-doubt, my mother reminds me of my childhood fundraising days. She expresses that I "was always a good little seller." My mother was sure the neighbors hated us after all of my supposed heckling. Reflecting back, she was right. I was obsessed with going door-to-door, batting my little eyes lashes, and convincing yet another person to purchase a subscription to a magazine they will never read for the third year in a row.

As much as I may have always tried to fight it, I was destined to become a business major. I am overly headstrong and prideful, which can work in my favor or become my downfall. Aspects of the business realm just sort of make sense to me. I am beginning to not be ashamed of my major because while yes, many people align with the general stereotype, not everyone does. In addition, many business majors work much harder than you think they do. We are not exempt from all the headaches, all-nighters, and mental breakdowns. I think college stereotypes about the majors can be fun to joke about, however, never let stereotypes alter the opinions you have about yourself.