To The Brother And Sister I Grew Up With, You Are The Best Friends I Never Knew I Needed

I seriously think I would be lost without them...

193
Mitch Paige Photography

Ok, is it bad that my earliest memory of my little sister is that I almost suffocated her when she was a newborn? I mean, in my defense, I thought I was being nice and sharing my stuffed animals with her, but apparently, you cant fill an infant crib with stuff animals… While she is sleeping at the bottom of all of the stuffed animals… Sorry, sis…

As for my little brother… My first memory of him was seeing him in the hospital, and as I am holding him… Well, I got distracted by the sour cream and onion chips on the table in front of me so with that and looking out the hospital room window and seeing burger king right outside … I obviously had other things occupying my mind…

I have to admit, they were cute at first. As I grew a little bit older my opinion quickly changed… My sister and I used to fight terribly, I mean what sisters don't? What do you expect when you have two girls who are barely three years apart from each other? Then there was my little brother and well, he was my little brother. I didn't know how to relate to the kid. He was all boy, trucks, wrestling, farts, and sports, and being, say a ten-year-old "girly girl" as I was, with a five-year-old little brother it was just "gross" and "embarrassing." Needless to say, I wanted NOTHING to do with it.

Fast forward to now… Wow, a lot has changed...

Mitch Paige Photography

I have to say the older we all get, the more fun I have had with them. I look back on my high school and early college years and wish I hung out with them a bit more. I wish I spent more Friday nights with them because to be quite honest, these two are the funniest "kids" I know, and I can't help but laugh whenever we spend time together. I'll be the first to say the fact that I can now party with my little sister and brother is actually the best and they will ALWAYS be my go-to pong partners and it feels so weird saying that…

These two, I know it's going to sound cheesy but it's oh so true. They are actually my best friends and I know there is nothing I wouldn't do for them, and I actually start to get emotional when I think about them. We went from young kids and toddlers to young adults spreading our wings and starting to go our separate ways… The fact that now our time together is going to be less and less, between school, careers, and well just life starting for us all, it really makes me appreciate the time I do get to spend with them.

Being the oldest, I've always had that "mother-hen" aspect to my personality, or at least so I am told. Even though they are 20 and 18, they are still my baby sister and baby brother, and if anyone wants to mess with them they have to go through me. I feel incredibly blessed to have been able to watch them grow into the people they are today.