To My Brother As He Starts His Senior Year Of High School

"Enjoy this time of knowing everything because soon, you'll feel like you know nothing."

116
Content Creator

Dear little brother,

First off, congrats to you for getting to this eventful stage in your life. This year will be one of the best years of high school, I promise. You'll have your final homecoming parade, dance, and game. You'll attend your final JROTC banquet and military dance. You'll go to your last sports banquet with people you've been with for four whole years. Finally, you'll be going to your very own Prom. While this year entails new adventures, bitter sweet moments, and exciting events, this year also comes with a lot of lessons that will help shape you into the young adult you are about to become. So, listen up and please take my advice.

Whatever you do, just let Mom take the picture.

We both know how Mom loves her pictures and we both know how she gets when someone politely declines a photo opportunity. Not only is this your final year in high school, you are the final child to leave the nest. So, be patient when she asks to take your picture when you are eating or when you are getting home from work. Pose for her as you go to your cross-country meets or a JROTC event. Remember that once you leave to go off to college, all she has is the pictures of you until you come back home to the empty house,

Don't waste your time worrying.

All I'm saying is you have your entire life to stress about money or the qualifications you do or don't have for something. I'm going to let you in on a little secret: college is over hyped. I'm not saying college isn't a complete and utter blast. I am saying that you are only as stressed as you let yourself become. If you manage your time wisely and pick a major that fits you, the stress in your life is decreased tremendously. So, don't over stress about the little things because you have your whole life to do that, enjoy your year.

High school drama is just that: high school.

Although you aren't much of the "drama king," I just want you to know that the petty high school drama should be left in high school. There are times in college that I realize that drama has seeped out of a high school's walls and wound up on our university campus. But, the problems that existed during any of your high school years gets left there and you get to start over when you graduate.

Make this year your year.

You have clawed and climbed to get to the very top of the totem pole that you now sit comfortably on. Own it. Walk around with your head high because you're that confident. Use your off campus pass -when you are allowed- because you have earned it. Finally, leave your mark. Do as many things as you are capable of so that when you leave, you can look back and say "I was here."

You are strong, confident, sassy, loveable, and incredibly smart. Enjoy this time of knowing everything because soon, you'll feel like you know nothing. Stay sassy and stay rad, little bro. You've got this.

Love your older and wiser sister,

Madison.