Bringing Museums into the 21st Century

Bringing Museums into the 21st Century

Ask not what museums can do for you, but what you can do for museums.

7
Bringing Museums into the 21st Century

Too often do I hear stories about "boring museums" that are visited as a right-of-passage or to appease family and friends. Perhaps there’s a Civil War buff in your family that has to stop at every single battlefield when you’re just trying to get to the beach; if so, you know how tedious some museum stops can be.

I’ve been to my fair share of museums. I’ve read labels with too much text or font that's too small; I’ve felt frustration when looking at a poorly designed exhibit, tattered period clothing or just a general misuse of space. However, I have a passionate and forgiving love of history, so I’m inclined to look past what might turn away less devoted visitors.

I appreciate the work that museum contractors, administrators, archivists, designers, marketers and others do for the institutions at different levels. There's an issue afflicting smaller museums, and it needs to be addressed.

For example, my hometown museum -- like most museums -- has minimal paid staff; most local museums are low on valuable resources, and don’t have the appeal of, say, the Smithsonian. Although the large and financially secure institutions are wonderful (I would always recommend the Art Institute of Chicago), there is innumerable wealth to be found in local museums.

When visiting these places, it's important to remember that money doesn’t necessarily equate value. Many smaller museums have phenomenal pieces and collections. They shouldn’t be ignored because they don’t have matching cases or multiple galleries featuring Picasso or Michelangelo. Some of the most important lessons I’ve learned have come from small places that have pride invested in their pieces of history.

Granted, I’m stunned when I am able to visit prestigious museums and galleries; however, I cultivated a love for the past by visiting small museums. Seeing a Van Gogh wouldn’t have been nearly as exciting if I was unfamiliar with the preservation and celebration of art and history.

My coursework has taught me the academic and professional approach to museums. I grasp the general idea of exhibit design; I’ve written labels for artifacts; I’ve even pitched ideas at a board meeting. But today, when I had the pleasure of simply being a guest at a local museum, I understood the communal responsibility that unites us all.

Lasting change needs to be multi-dimensional; museum administrators and archivists can’t be solely responsible for revitalizing museums. The public needs to affect change that is both lasting and positive.

Although I would encourage people to pursue careers in history and museum work, it’s not a good fit for everyone. That doesn’t mean that everyone can’t participate in the effort to modernize museums. We all know that museum styling of the past (think of the begrudging visits you’ve had) isn’t ideal for the future. Visitors can have a huge impact on the future of museums – and they should put their influence to constructive use.

A museum is meant for the public. This is the most important detail and it’s so often ignored by both the institution and visitors. The relationship, if nurtured, is mutually beneficial. Here’s how.

1. Visit

The best way to make a positive impact on your museum is by visiting. A museum is at its best when visitors are present and engaging in what it has to offer. The purpose of the institution is to teach the public; they can't be expected to blossom if no one is taking the time to visit. It's also important to note that museums often rely heavily on entrance fees and/or donations. If a museum doesn't have income, it can't be expected to improve.

2. Use reviewing services

Museums, although places of education, are businesses. They may seem stagnant (and some surely are), but they should always be growing and advancing. Constant betterment relies on feedback from visitors. If you think they need to work on something, let them know. There are generally review cards available that you should use; it’s beneficial for the museum to understand how it’s meeting the needs of visitors, and how it could improve in other regards. Don’t hesitate to reinforce what they’re doing right, too.

Additionally, reviewing them online is incredibly helpful -- particularly if you had a positive experience. Visitors will be inclined to visit great places if the reviews are available. If you love (or loathe) a place, review it.

3. Volunteer

Most museums are desperate for volunteers. It’s a shame that this is a reality, especially because museums offer so many great things. They’re community centers that seek to education and entertain. Without assistance, that can’t be done.

Some of my best memories have come from volunteering at museums. When I started working for my local museum in high school, I finally understood the history I’d overlooked for years. I also built ties with the board, which opened up an entirely new group of friends and opportunities to learn.

Volunteering with museums also looks good on a resume. When I began taking public history courses, I was already roughly familiar with the inner workings of museums. I knew what software they used for cataloging, how to document artifacts and how to handle many of them. It was a valuable part of my preparation, and it helped me feel like a community member with purpose.

4. Donate

Give whatever you can! Volunteering, as already stated, is so wonderful. If you can donate time, do it. Monetary donations are also incredibly important. Museums require a lot of upkeep; for example, archives are very sensitive environments that need to remain stable. Building costs are general but vital to the survival of the museum itself. Any donation will help.

5. Spread the word

Reviewing a museum is definitely valuable, but don’t let a good thing stop there. If you really enjoyed parts of or an entire museum, tell people. Post on Facebook, plan a group outing or even a date night; I’m going to organize a trip with my History and Political Science Club to visit the Wheels O’ Time museum next fall. Museums can market themselves to a general audience, but it’s incredibly helpful when they have happy visitors sharing news of the good thing they have going.

History is an invaluable resource. We often complain that there’s no manual for living life. History, interestingly enough, is as close to a guide book for life as possible. It’s an almost infinite resource that finds it purpose when explored; if left alone, it will rot and cease to exist. Museums house many of the valuable parts of the past. When these places are neglected, a connection to the past -- and thus to knowledge, experiences, heritage and wisdom -- fizzles out.

Remaining proactive is a task that must be shared by museums and visitors alike. If museums want to continue, they need to cease to be relics themselves; if visitors don’t like the museums as they are, they need to offer solutions. Together, history will be preserved. One of our finest resources will remain accessible and relevant.