Bring on the New Year

Bring on the New Year

It's almost the new year which means it's almost time for a 'new you'

6
Bring on the New Year
pexels.com

Christmas is over, the presents all opened, the trees slowly coming down (a few of my neighbors have taken theirs down already) and everyone is getting ready for the New Year. Each year people always so "New Year, New Me!" I'm one of them. But each year my resolutions only last about an hour or so maybe a week before I just give up. So this year I started early and set goals that are more achievable. I've learned to not set too many goals and as one is completed, start another.

Getting Fit.

This one is one that is always on peoples lists of things to change. And sometimes it's the first one to be dropped. Gym memberships can be expensive, you may not have the time to go. While that is understandable as reasons to drop this one first but look around and price some local gyms. Look for ones that are 24 hours. It may seem odd going late at night but there is normally no one in the gym so for those of you who may be too insecure about working out in front of others, this will help. Even put a little extra money in and get a personal trainer who will be able to help you get started. This also means cleaning out our diets.

Make time to read more.

Reading is a great way to escape from stress. Plus there are so many amazing books out there! Life gets so busy that we all tend to forget to slow down for a bit. We are constantly on the move. Going from one job to another another or to meetings and shopping. Taking an hour or so out of the day or night to read has been shown to help sleep patterns.

Make more time for friends and family.

Just like with taking time to read more, we don't really take time to sit and enjoy time with our families and friends. We spend too much time running and not enough time just enjoying what's around us. Set aside a day or just a few hours to enjoy with those you care for most. Go out to eat, get drinks with close friends, have family game night. Just enjoy the time you're given for you never know when that time will run out.

Take care of yourself.

You are the most important person in your life. Don't forget to take care of yourself. Don't let yourself get burned out by constantly being on the move. You need to keep you happy and healthy. Don’t put yourself on the back burner to make everyone else happy. Yes, it may be a good feeling for a while because you are making others happy but soon it will wear you out.

Some other resolutions you can make are: Be nice to others, Don’t Judge, Be more open minded, or try new things such as food or an activity that you thought you’d never like. Or try and pay it forward once a week or a month (or as money allows). The lists are endless in ways you can make 2017 better and have a new you in the new year.