Part of growing up is making spontaneous decisions based on our "wants" and not necessarily our "needs." College is fun, but wouldn't it be even more fun if you had a fluffy, cuddly, animal to enjoy it with? Something you can take "in-between class" naps with. Something you can just love and hold whenever you are stressing over exams, or just because it makes you happy.
I have the solution. Get a kitten, or two. I'm talking kittens, not full grown cats. It's more fun to raise the kitten yourself, trust me.
If you decide to take my advice and get a kitten (do it, because everyone else is) then you are probably worried about breaking it to your parents when you bring it home for the holidays (unless you have cool parents who love pets). But for those of us who don't, here is a guide to help you with the process of bringing your cute kitten pet home for the holidays.
1) Get a kitten (obviously).
2) Text your parent these exact words:
[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F12%2F20%2F63617793344001834596024337_636177933432518411154947642_IMG_0770%2520%282%29.PNG&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=23&h=80d49ed8ff4d7357ad32f359c95fc201df56ec7c3c9e109f799451e1ca0a1e6c&size=980x&c=2493296762 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F12%252F20%252F63617793344001834596024337_636177933432518411154947642_IMG_0770%252520%25282%2529.PNG%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D23%26h%3D80d49ed8ff4d7357ad32f359c95fc201df56ec7c3c9e109f799451e1ca0a1e6c%26size%3D980x%26c%3D2493296762%22%7D" expand=1 original_size="1x1"]
The trick with this message is to not immediately come out saying you have a cat but imply it with the cat emoji.
3) Depending on the parent, the response time can be intimidating. You will probably get a nasty message that is probably meant to be interpreted in a yelling tone. If that happens, commence to the fourth step to this guide.
4) They said no. So if that happens, do what every 18-22 year old would do... Do it anyway.
5) Pack your stuff up and the kitten, and show up to your house. No one can say anything because it's already there. You might get some mean comments, but they will warm up once they see how cute the kitten is.
6) Commence kitten cuddles every night for a month. Also prepare for many snapchats on your story of them that your friends will probably get annoyed of. But who cares?
So there you have it. Bringing a pet home for the holidays doesn't have to be so intimidating. Just do it. After all, it is a kitten, and they are so darn cute. That's what matters.