May The Bridges We Burn Light The Way

May The Bridges We Burn Light The Way

Good things fall apart, sometimes.
238

When you and a friend begin to drift, you can tell. It's the little things. Messages become shorter, and calls become fewer. You never seem to have time to see each other anymore. If you do manage to spare a half hour for coffee, you awkwardly shoot the breeze. "School's fine," you say in the same way you tell your aunt at Christmas dinner. You look in their eyes and see that they're not entirely thrilled to see you either. You both know something is amiss, and you know there is not much you can do to fix it on your own.

Sometimes, you need to let go of those friendships you once held close. It doesn't mean that you or them are any less of a person; it just means that they aren't your person.

Holding onto toxic friendships can do major damage to your outlook on life, as well as your ability to form healthy relationships in the future. It is perfectly normal to drift from people you once considered crucial in your life as time goes on. It is okay to outgrow people sometimes.

It is unfair to both parties to force an unrequited friendship. If only one person is attempting to hold onto your bond, then it is not even worth it. It takes two for a friendship to thrive and endure whatever challenges life throws their way.

It isn't that your new friends are better, or that your old friend is a terrible person who doesn't value anything you once had. It's just that people sometimes grow apart. Your life paths may differ too much to keep a steady relationship. You may be moving to opposite ends of the country and long distance doesn't work for one or both of you.

No one should live with the confusion of being unsure if someone you consider a friend cares about you. It's time to stop subtweeting about how they should have made more of an effort. You need to look at the positives of the situation. If they don't care about you, then you are much better off because everyone deserves a reliable and supportive friend.

Take a second to understand that the bridges you burn will light the way. They will light the way to a happier future, consisting of supportive friends and family members and endless opportunities to grow as a person.

I understand that you may think that you will be best friends forever, and that very well may work out in your favor. However, this isn't always the case. Sometimes, much to our dismay, good things fall apart. As time goes on, you will move forward. As the bridge continues to burn, you will hurt less and less as you progress toward a happier way of being.