Just Breathe

Just Breathe

Take the time to recharge, your body will thank you.

10
Just Breathe
Heat and Global Community

Once you leave high school, summer vacation changes. No longer is it the blissful, relaxed three month long vacation full of zero responsibilities. For most, days are spent slaving away on a time clock, or busting their butt at an internship trying to get that coveted letter of recommendation; pool days and sleeping in become rare occurrences, if they manage to happen at all. The work filled days are no worse than being back in school, (unless you're taking summer classes, yikes) but they manage to feel so much more exhausting than all those all nighters pulled in the library, followed by days full of class. The reason is, is that we forget to breathe during summer "vacation."

Summertime brings with it warm weather, and the idea that everyday needs to be spent a certain way. The weeks are spent working, as many hours as the labor laws will allow, and the weekends are jam-packed with fun activities with friends that you haven't seen since high school. And yes, that's what summer is for. However, there's only so much steam in a person, and summertime seems to take it out of us faster than any Redbull fueled study sesh. No longer are we surrounded by the college ideas, that you don't need that much sleep and that coffee is always their to kickstart your brain. At home, life manages to seem a little more lifelike and so unlike the life we get used to at our other home. Money is needed, to fund another semester and internships seem like the make or break moments of our careers. Summer is a scary time, and it gets even scarier if it's jam-packed full every. single. day.

What I'm trying to say, is remember to breathe this summer. Remember to take those days off when they come, and spend them having a mental health day. Remember that not every weekend needs to be spent going out until 3 a.m., and that sometimes the best ones are the nights spent at home. Remember to take time for yourself, and that it's okay to admit that you need a break. And most importantly, remember to take a break. Without the occasional breath, we'd all lose our minds come mid-June; and trust me, you have to last a whole lot longer than that. Trust your instincts, listen to your body and mind, and remember that this internship or summer job isn't going to make or break the rest of you life.

You have time to work, you have time to stay out until all hours of the night with friends, but take the time to recharge. Your body, your mind, and your well-being will thank you.