A Breakup Letter To Fall Semester 2016

A Breakup Letter To Fall Semester 2016

Let’s leave the past in the past and go our separate ways

24
A Breakup Letter To Fall Semester 2016

I’m sorry to have to tell you this way but...it’s over, we’re through and I’m moving on. Honestly, it’s not me, it’s you. I have better hopes for my future and there’s no place for you in it.

I’ll admit, our time together hasn’t been all bad. You’ve brought me frustration and fatigue, more than I deserve, but you’ve also shown me the feeling of accomplishment when I overcome our difficulties and have inspired me to be the best I can be—for you and for myself.

You’ve taught me some important things during our time together. You’ve taught me that Shakespeare is not my thing. You’ve taught me how to respect my needs and my sanity. You've taught me when to study and when to sleep. And you’ve shown me that I can do an oral presentation without having a panic attack. I will forever be thankful for these lessons; I wouldn’t be exactly who I am today without them, with you...

Hold up, I’m just making excuses now. Let’s get real. You’ve kept so much from me, restricting my ability to flourish.

For these last three and a half months, I’ve hardly seen my friends because you keep demanding I spend time with you. You always find something that we need to do together and once again, I’m forced to cancel my plans and tend to your needs.

You’ve kept me from my creative hobbies. With you, it’s all work and no play, and I need some time to myself sometimes...without you. You can’t seem to grant this simple request, so I’m taking matters into my own hands. It’s time for me to do me.

From this point on, I don’t intend to see you again. We are in different worlds, you in the past and me in the present, and I just don’t see us working out any longer. I won’t be wasting my time missing you, but I will always remember you.

Yours no longer,

An exhausted and damaged college student.

P.S. On a completely unrelated note, there’s this guy. His name is Spring Semester 2017, and he’s everything that you couldn’t be. He wants me to spend time with my friends, not just himself. He encourages my creativity and makes me feel capable and interesting. I’m still taking some time for myself, three weeks or so should suffice, but I can see a bright future with him come January.

Alright, take care! But stay away from me please...