Breaking The Stigma Of Valentine’s Day

It's that dreadful time of year again where for an entire month you are constantly reminded that you are perpetually single. A holiday whose only purpose is to tell you how you will forever be alone. A day in which somehow every couple on the planet find’s their way into your path. A day in which handholds and smooches are more than welcomed. Yes, I am talking about Valentine’s Day.

It has been forever ingrained in our brains through the media, cinema and even our peers that Valentine’s Day is a celebration of love that should be shared with a significant other. This stigma however needs to be broken. Valentine’s Day should be a day about love, but about spending it with the people you love, whether that be a significant other, family, or friends, it should just be a day to celebrate the people in your life.

So this Valentine’s Day, please do pick up some flowers and chocolates and take those over to someone special, whether it be a family member, a boyfriend, a girlfriend, or a friend, trust me, they will definitely appreciate the gesture, because who doesn't love free stuff, especially when it is food. That was a joke, but actually they’ll love it because you are capturing the true essence of Valentine’s Day.

Now that we have established that Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a romantic occasion, here are some ideas to enjoy this beautiful holiday. If you aren’t spending Valentine’s Day with a significant other, don’t get in a funk, there are many other friends that are doing the same. Collect all your single friends and watch sappy love stories or leave the Nicholas Spark’s movie on the shelf and watch a comedy where you can laugh the night away.

Have a fondue night where all your friends can bring their favorite dipping item and join in on the chocolate party. A sweets party isn't the only sweet party you can throw on Valentine’s Day; throw a party with all your friends and maybe even invite your potential valentine to join you guys. Everyone always wants an excuse to party and Valentine’s Day is yet just another great opportunity. Besides, who doesn’t look good in red? So grab some friends, put up some festive decorations and get into the holiday spirit, because Valentine’s Day only comes once a year.

It’s about time that we start viewing Valentine’s Day as a blessing instead of a curse. Make this day a time to reflect on old love, find new love, or commemorate current love because who doesn't love a day all about love. So this February, don't let the Valentine’s blues get to you and allow you to miss out on such a joyous holiday. It is all about changing your perspective and appreciating the aspects that you can relate to. There is no need to cultivate the stereotypes that surround Valentine’s Day, instead break them and make it a day you’ll look forward to year after year, no matter who you spend it with.