Breaking Down Trump's Appeal

Breaking Down Trump's Appeal

You'd think that this candidate would never have made it this far. And you'd be wrong.

15
Breaking Down Trump's Appeal
BBC

I remember hearing that Donald J. Trump had announced his candidacy last year, in a lengthy 45-minute speech during which he claimed that the United States "has become a dumping ground for everyone else's problems."

He demonstrated the kind of candidate he is today, by yelling out lies ("Our real unemployment is 18 to 20 percent. Don't believe the 5.6.") and antagonizing entire ethnic groups with divisively racist claims -- for example, the ridiculous allegation that Mexican immigrants are a group largely comprised of drug dealers, criminals and rapists.

I remember reacting as I would to any other racist joke: by mentally rolling my eyes and assuming he'd be gone within the month. I had faith in the American people and in the power of the media. In my mind, he didn't stand a chance against the likes of John Kasich or even Ted Cruz, politicians who don't stray nearly as far from the idea of the 21st-century conservative.

As a first-generation Latina immigrant, I no longer have the luxury of laughing this off.

Somehow, Mr. Trump has defeated every other Republican challenger. Though third-party candidates still exist, the reality is that our next president will be one of two people: a vastly experienced, if imperfect, former Senator and Secretary of State – who does seem like she has the nation's best interests at heart – or a businessman who will tell any lie to captivate an audience, who has cheated many others in the past, and who claims to care about the working class of America, while deceptively implying that he's some kind of philanthropist.

I could write a book about the racist, sexist and overall bigoted claims Mr. Trump has made, things most of us are aware of: things like mocking a disabled reporter, reducing women to the role of motherhood and judging their worth purely on looks, supporting a temporary ban on Muslim immigration and alluding to the size of his genitals in the middle of a GOP debate. But I don't need to, because none of these events have been kept secret. The American public is completely aware of Mr. Trump's numerous (and, in my mind, insurmountable) flaws.

So why the hell is he still a major candidate for the American presidency?

It's easiest to argue that it's because he's a political outsider, and is thus more capable of criticizing the establishment. This argument could work well for him because it's one of his only opportunities to turn Ms. Clinton's political background against her.

For someone that claims to be an outsider, though, he's certainly exemplifying a stereotypical politician at their worst as he travels for his campaign. Take the pandering, for example: how he attempts to garner support by exclaiming that he loves potatoes in Idaho. Or ethanol in Iowa. (Or, when he screws up, Alabama football in Arkansas.)

And being an outsider could be an asset if the system itself were malfunctioning, which isn't the case. The U.S., while far from perfect, currently boasts low unemployment and crime rates, and even for the poor, government programs like Obamacare and food stamps allow for a higher standard of living than what most Republicans would propose. Sure, the government has areas which it should address, but a business man with no experience in American politics or foreign policy – and, like I've said, a history or lying and cheating, both in business and on the campaign trail – is one of the worst people to trust with the well-being of our nation.

I remain too optimistic in the American people to claim that just under half of us genuinely believe in such hateful proclamations from a man that, if nothing else, lacks the character to be President. The leader of our country should be someone that unites people out of love for their country and of their fellow citizens – not out of fear of Mexicans or Muslims "stealing their jobs."

Then the other factor must be that the American people are being brainwashed. Trump's deceptive rhetoric may appeal to some subconscious need to blame the allegedly poor state of America on a certain population – and he does this by alienating undocumented workers and immigrants, with the promise that he alone is capable of "restoring" greatness.

Because if you accept everything that Trump says in speeches as the truth, it's actually fairly easy to support his run for the presidency. The bleak picture he paints of America, coupled with his exaggerated anecdotes and misleading (or just false) statistics could be very convincing if they go unquestioned. Millions across America have fallen for it, and though I don't blame them, I do urge them to fact check those claims. We must not be deceived.

Being an outsider does help in the sense that he can claim the system works against him. That the newspapers that dare to publish negative editorials are corrupt, controlled by "Crooked Hillary," and generally untrustworthy. For this reason, Trump supporters may scoff when presented with a credible source they deem to be insufficient, like the Washington Post or CNN. That doubt he's planted in his supporters makes it that much harder to convince them that Mr. Trump isn't who he says he is. He's been remarkably effective on that point

That success might just be enough to take him to the White House, where he'll have at least four years to destroy many of our international relationships, upset the balance of the Supreme Court and tilt it towards the right for the next decade (if not more), and continue antagonizing ethnic groups which have contributed hugely to the prosperity of our country.

I pray he won't get that chance.