7 Friend Archetypes You'll Find In Each Friend Group, 100% Of The Time

I swear I've never met a friend group that didn't follow these exact guidelines.

4275
Author's photo

I used to think that my group of friends and I were just an "elite unit," if you will, of a bunch of different types of personalities merged together that worked really well. But, then I started meeting other groups of friends and I realized that literally everyone of them had a pretty similar setup. It differs from group to group, but this is a pretty solid lineup.

1. The One With the House

You know what I'm talking about. This is the one that is always able to have the group hang out at their house. It is the go-to, but also the fallback. If nothing is going on, that's where you'll end up, but if something IS going on, you'll probably still end up there by the end of the night. If the party is boring or the group is tired, someone will suggest heading back to this person's house, and without question you're on your way there.

2. The One that Either Has or Will Get Arrested

This is the one category that I'm almost positive every group of friends has someone in. For my group, this guy HAS been arrested. For most groups, this person hasn't yet, but everyone collectively agrees that some point in their life they'll be behind bars for at least a night. It's not that this one is a bad person, they're just stupid.

3. The Smart One

Valedictorian. Kinda nerdy. Everyone loves this one though. They are usually the one putting logical reasoning into the group. This is the person that says "Maybe we shouldn't try to race this cop guys." GENIUS level intellect. They are there for almost everything, but tend to opt out of the stupid stuff the rest of the group decides to do. This is why this one will probably be the most successful

4. The Reliable One

This one will always be there in case somebody needs something. Car broke down? Stuck on a bad date? They'll be there to pick you up or pretend to be your mom telling you your hamster just died to get you out of there. This person can sometimes get the short shaft though, since a lot of times the rest of the group doesn't share the same reliability. Make sure to take care of your reliable friend like they do for you.

5. The One that Disappears for Weeks at a Time

They're in the GM, you see them liking pictures on Instagram, but haven't heard from them for three weeks. Come on, everyone has gotten together like six times since then, where are you? Regardless of their failure to show up all the time, they are never really "kicked out" of the group, and when they do come around, it's almost like nothing happened.

6. The Quiet One that is Wild Only When They're With Everyone Else

Now I KNOW every friend group has this person. They're really quiet and shy with people they don't know, almost unapproachable, but when they get with the rest of the group, they go absolutely nuts. This one is usually just as crazy as the friend that's probably gonna get arrested, they just do a better job at hiding it. This person struggles to ask the waiter for a refill, but will definitely jump off of the roof into a 5 foot pool with no thought to it.

Lastly,

7. The Big One

This is more prominent in guy friend groups that girl friend groups, but I've still seen it in girl groups as well. They're built like a freaking house. This is the one that's always down to fight, and the one you want next to you in a bar fight. Other than this, they're just a normal part of the group. Probably was a good high school athlete or solid club sports guy now.