BRACEface: The Good And The Bad

BRACEface: The Good And The Bad

The top 10 on how we all felt when embracing braces.

91
BRACEface: The Good And The Bad
Carlin Dental

As always, Facebook thought it was a GENIUS idea to remind me of the anniversaries. This time, it was of when I had my braces removed. I'm sure a decent amount of you have worn them at some point in your middle school days. I unfortunately did not get that luxury. My last two years of high school and first year of college was spent with my brace face, but I still felt the struggle. I still cringe at the horrors of wearing them, but boy am I blessed. Now, let's take the time to relive those memories together!

1. Remember when you couldn't wait to get them. You felt "cool"!

I may have had them late, but I was there when all my friends got them. I was jealous. Eventually everyone started getting them...and it got old. Now I get to relive the good old days as my brother went to get braces and now he's "cool."

2. The Pain!

In case you didn't know... braces are made of metal. Sometimes they just loved to stab you in the gum, lip, tongue, or basically every sensitive part in your mouth. And you had to schedule your doctors appointment and suffered through until they could squeeze you in next week.

3. The Orthodontist

Don't let the smiling stock photo fool you! After your God and your mother, you feared your orthodontist (Sometimes even worse than that). The last thing you want to admit is the that a metal piece popped out because you just couldn't refrain from that ONE piece of delicious buttery popcorn. Heaven forbid he rip your braces off right then and there!

4. When you actually progress and have to get them tightened

Forget that piece of pizza you were going to sneak a bit of, you were not hungry anyway *insert crying face here*. This wolf is basically how you held your mouth for 2-3 days as your teeth adjusted. Here's to avoiding anything that's not liquid.

5. Speaking of adjusting...

It may have been years since your braces have been removed, but I bet you still find these little suckers lying around. Admit it, we forgot to wear them, we found various different ways to wear them, and we may have swallowed one or two per week. To this day, I doubt their power in the making of my straight teeth. Yet, they did make semi-great pony tail holders!

6. Orajel and You: The original #SquadGoals

This beautiful piece of scenery became your best friend. You can't imagine how you lived without it before and you can't live without it now.

7. When everyone wanted to see them (and even touch) them

You couldn't wait to show them off to your friends, yet every time your family asked "Let me see," you mastered the art of keeping your mouth shut. Yet eventually you laughed, everyone got a peek, and we all got over it.

8. When you got them off and cleared your refrigerator that same day

Pizza. Popcorn. Laffy Taffy. Skittles. Spinach. Broccoli. Just to name a few foods that were on the DO NOT list or those foods that gave you utter embarrassment because you wanted to eat a salad. Let's be honest here, we were already eating what we weren't allowed. Now we just did it with no regrets!

9. When you finally embraced the selfie!

Unlike some, I thought I looked worse after I had my braces put on. But as my smile became straighter, my self-confidence grew. I actually started to smile WITH TEETH during pictures. After two years of having my braces off and hundreds of compliments, it seems weird when I don't smile during pictures.

10. When you could finally see progress!

Just the small move in the right direction made you tear up. Whoever said happiness can't be bought obviously did not have braces. Now go out there and SMILE ON!