Why Is It Such A Big Deal If My Bra Strap Shows?

My Bra Strap Is Showing, But What's It To You?

We have breasts and we wear bras; what would you like us to do?

609
https://unsplash.com/photos/aexLgG40H_E
Photo by Phuong Tran on Unsplash

I remember the dress code policies from middle and even elementary school we students were subjected to. Even though my high school required a uniform, we still had a specific dress code for our dress-down days. After the school passed a rule that leggings were not to be worn on campus, almost the entire student body boycotted by wearing the banned attire instead of our classic uniform.

I've always found the "no-bra-strap-showing" regulation to be the most ridiculous dress code rule. Although one may find no harm in wearing revealing clothes, it's understandable for booty shorts and incredibly low-cut tops bearing a lot of cleavage to be prohibited from school. But I could never understand why a bra strap peeking out from underneath a shirt was such a terrible offense.

Yet, even today, in the real world outside of school, I face the same reaction to one of my bra straps showing: "Your strap is down; pull it up". An exposed part of my bra seems to be viewed as a sight that nobody should see, especially in a professional setting like the workplace or even a college lecture hall. Sometimes, people don't even inform me of it and will shimmy my strap up so it's hidden beneath my shirt.

I honestly don't see the harm in a bra strap showing if it blends in with your skin tone or even the shirt you're wearing over it. Most of the time, I stick to wearing nude-colored bras so that they won't be that noticeable if a strap falls. However, wearing a neon pink bra underneath a light-colored shirt is completely different; it's disrespectful to walk around an office with a bright bra strap falling down your arm while you're supposed to be representing the company you work for.

I get increasingly aggravated the more people tell me my bra strap is showing or go so far as to slide it back up for me. I don't see why a thin strap showing every now and then is considered so offensive. Plus, it's not like showing our bra straps is the style girls are looking for and we let our straps show intentionally; wardrobe malfunctions are very real and not every single piece of clothing is going to cooperate with our bodies at every moment.

If the strap isn't distracting anybody—if it's a neutral color, or if it blends in with the skin tone of the wearer or the top it's worn under—I don't see why people can't just ignore it and direct their energy toward something that actually matters. As ladies, we have much bigger problems to worry about than a small portion of our undergarment being exposed.