No, My Boyfriend Doesn't Give Me Social Media PDA. Yes, He Still Loves Me

There is so much more to love and happiness than a sappy Instagram quote under your WCW photo.

1351
The Big Green

'Relationship goals'

'Sliding into the DMs'

'Like for Like'

All perfect examples of recent social media trends that really capture the love lives of 2017's societal standards. Don't get me wrong - I'm enjoying all of the photos of the boyfriends surprising their significant other with chocolates and ice cream during a bad day, and I am definitely melting to the sweet captions and messages couples are posting to show off their - idealistic, one of a kind, forever- love. All I'm saying is, you absolutely do not need that in a relationship to be happy.

It seems as if society has set standards within love, social media, and relationships, that have influenced the need to 'show off your man' by posting a long, sappy, territorial caption to prove the love you have for him.

Of course, if your girlfriend is not updating her followers about how they feel about you, she definitely doesn't love you anymore, and if your boyfriend didn't make you his woman crush Wednesday for the third time this month, he most likely thinks you're insanely ugly.

Now, quick question: are we obsessively posting about our significant others because we care about sharing a sincere moment of happiness with our partner, or is it because of the inner validation we get from the likes?

Cherishing a memory, sharing a memory, remembering a memory - all perfect instances of valuing significant happiness, but the likes and comments can often be so validating that when we're struggling, that's where we can get our up from.

I guess, what I'm really trying to get at within this article, is that happy couples who truly value their significant other, do not seek validation for their relationship from other people on social media.

If it makes you happy to post, or be posted about, then you should do that - although it's essential to remember there is much more to a relationship and happiness than social media.

Be confident in your relationship, love with every inch of your body, and show your respect to him/her in whatever way you please - at the end of the day, it's just you two.