College is a great time. You get to accumulate crippling debt, learn the menus of all the fast food restaurants in the area, and, if you're lucky, find that special someone that makes finals week just a little bit easier. Now, once you find that person, there's a lot of places to go from there: do you move-in together, do you keep each other in your own separate spaces, because bathrooms are small, and I need all the counter space?
Well, if you're on that cusp of the relationship, or just wondering what it's like from the guy's perspective, I interviewed my significant other of a boyfriend of a year and a half, asking him just what it is like to live with a neurotic writing major.
1. Why did you want to live with your girlfriend?
"I kinda landed in that one. You gave me a PB&J sandwich, and I just never wanted to leave."
2. Which is better: living with a girl or a male roommate?
"Living with a girl is better. Living with a group of girls can get fishy."
3. What do you like most about living with your girlfriend?
"Cuddles. I like that I never have to worry about the bed being too cold. I can only have one favorite thing."
4. What do you like the least about living with your girlfriend?
"I don't know, sometimes I like the peace and quiet. I like to work in solidarity without other people because then I don't have to worry about judging eyeballs."
5. How does being in college affect your living situation?
"It doesn't really affect it? It would be the same as having a job, which is going to happen in the future anyway."
6. What do your friends think about your situation?
"Probably that it's going too fast. We've been told that a lot. But anything else that could be said could be summed up under that."
7. How has living with your girlfriend made life easier?
"Well, you cook for me sometimes, and I like food. And I always have someone to make snide comments to."
8. How has living with your girlfriend made life harder?
"You make me wake up on time. I guess that should go in the easier section, but it's definitely harder."
9. How would you improve your living situation?
"Really just more room and more space, not because I want to run and hide in a corner, but because we have a lot of stuff, as a unit."
10. Would you ever want to go back to not living with your girlfriend?
"No, because I get to have you around all the time, which is a big plus."
11. Would you recommend for people to live with their significant others?
"I would recommend at least after a while. Could you imagine getting married and not living with them? It gets that growing into it part out of the way. Skips all of the dancing around and wasting time."
12. Is living with a girl really so bad?
"No, you can't cuddle with your bros. Well, you can, but..."