A Boy And A Light

A Boy And A Light

A fictional short-story about losing your way in life.

25
A Boy And A Light
Photo by Aaron Wicker

The boy hid in the night. Huddled against a tree, he whimpered and wept as the wind swept through the woods around him. Days had passed since he found himself lost in this kingdom of trees where the sun did not rise. His Father had told him of a path which would lead him to his destination. His Father’s path was longer than most and littered hard terrain. Like so many children before him the boy wandered onto his own path in which he thought he saw the destination brighter and closer. Now, like so many before him, he was lost deep in darkness.

The ground he rested on began to rumble. Trees groaned as the earth began to shake around the boy. Though he feared this, he had given up crying out to his Father. He had learned helplessness. This night was different though.

The trees did not stop groaning and the earth did not stop shaking. Rather, the wind picked up whipping the boy’s hair from around his face and from within the darkness ahead of he heard something approach. Frightened he pushed himself into a standing position. Twigs snapped and leaves crunched under foot of the thing lurking in the darkness. The boy leaned heavily against the tree, trembling with fear and weakness.

When the footsteps seemed like they couldn’t get any closer, they suddenly stopped. In the silence the boy heard a distant call. Quickly, and bravely he turned his ears in the direction of the call. He knew the voice instantly. Riding the wind was the voice of his Father. The boy’s breathing steadied just long enough for him to hear the words that flew in the wind, “come my son.”

Within the same fraction of a second the lurking stranger made itself known. A great wolf made of many shadows stepped toward the boy with a snarl. The wolf’s coat twisted and moved unnaturally as if the things innards were trying to escape. Another call came floating on the wind, this time louder, “run to me!”.

With no hesitation, the boy spun in the direction of his Father’s voice. The wolf bounded forward to catch him, missing by inches and slamming into the tree. The boy ran with all his might, his feet beating the dark earth beneath him. Close behind him the wolf cried out with the voice of many demons, filling the night with horrid cries.

Not far ahead the boy could see his Father. He stood on the path the boy had strayed from. With arms outstretched the boy galloped forward, the wolf close on his heels. The Father held open his arms, ready to embrace his son. Feeling the breath of the wolf at his ankles the boy faithfully leaped into his Father’s arms. Immediately he felt comfort and strength there.

However, just as quickly as it had started, the embrace was over. The Father lovingly pushed his son onto the path and turned to face the wolf. “Go,” the Father said stretching his arms out and offering himself to the wolf. The wolf lowered itself, licked its chops and pounced. In horror, the boy turned and ran down the path of his Father. Like a bullet from a gun the boy ran through the trees and darkness, trusting the path no matter how hard it felt.

Soon the boy could see the tree line where the darkness ended. He shot forward and tore past the trees. Once out, he fell to his knees tired and weak from the journey. Looking up he saw a light brighter than the sun finally break over the horizon, illuminating a great lake before him. Tears came again as he watched the brilliant light grow.

In mourning, the boy reached for the light and cried out to his Father. He knew this was the destination his Father meant for him to reach. He knew this was the light his Father wanted him to know. Reaching out, with eyes closed, he felt a strong familiar hand clasp his shoulder. “It is well, my son.”