My Boss Is The Big Brother I've Never Had
Friendships

My Boss is the Big Brother I’ve Never Had

An Ode to Justin Caña

225
Personal Image
Zoe Lerman

This past spring I was hired at what is now the best job I've ever had. I work at SunLife Organics, a juice, and smoothie bar that most people judge as bougie and overpriced. What most people don't understand, though, is that SunLife is more than a surface price tag. The reason our products are priced as they are is because of where we source ingredients from, proceeds we give back to different organizations that support human and environmental health, and the quality and benefits of the different supplements we use to help provide people with the most nutrient dense meals. Aside from that, our slogan Love, Heal, and Inspire is truly the heart and soul of the company, its food, and the people who work there, and I have been lucky enough to experience that firsthand.

Some of my best friends are my coworkers, and that was the last thing I expected when starting my job there. Each time I go in to work – or even just to loiter – I genuinely do feel loved, healed, and inspired by the people behind the counter. The happiness, authenticity, positivity, kindness, consideration, and warmth everyone exudes is contagious, and the amount of mutual care and respect we have for one another is priceless. I feel so lucky as to be able to call my coworkers my best friends. Sadly, though, one of those best friends, shall I even go so far as to say my "big brother" of sorts, is leaving at the end of the summer.

My boss, Justin Caña, is going up north to start a SunLife in Palo Alto. While that's lucky for them NorCal folks, it is so sad for our little SoCal Sunlife fam. Justin is legitimately the goofiest goober I have ever met, and I owe him so much for giving me the best job I've ever had and embracing me into the fam. So, in honor of his imminent departure (and because he asked me to write an article about him), I thought I'd list the top ten things I've learned from him.

1. Take Love, Heal, and Inspireseriously – do it for the people around you, do it for yourself, and do it by doing what you love and by doing what makes you happiest.

2. Laugh. Laugh at life, laugh at yourself, don't take things too seriously – find the amusement in everything you do because it will make it more fun.

3. Listen to Sunshine by Matisyahu to feel better.

4. "And pulse."

5. Ask yourself and others "What should I eat?" a thousand times before you decide for yourself.

6. Always go for spirulina.

7. Believe in yourself. (Thanks for telling me, "You got this, Zoë"…because I still think I don't l o l).

8. Be kind and understanding.

9. Dance it out.

10. "As long as you're happy, Zoë." – That statement applies to everyone, my friends.

Justin, you better be reading this article (if you're not, I hate you). Thanks for being the big brother I never had, for telling me my love life has hope, for opening a door to more love by more people than I thought was possible, and for loving, healing, and inspiring me. Palo Alto is lucky to have you.