things to do in the summer

21 Fun Things To Do In A Small Town In The Summertime

Because you can't keep driving around all day.

44569
Mikayla Kelz

Summertime, the glorious break from school, the season you think about all year. Now that summer is here and you have time to hopefully relax, rewind or make some cash at a summertime job, you find yourself with a lot of free time.

Unfortunately, us kids from the smaller towns can't consume ourselves with hot concerts, name brand shopping, hitting the clubs, riding roller coasters at a theme park or watching fun performances.

But this doesn't mean there is nothing to do in a small town. It might not be as glamorous as city life, but hey, who says it isn't fun?

1. Playing hostage with your friend’s crappy car

Here are the rules. Hopefully, you know your town pretty well.

2. Night hiking in the forest

A bit spooky, but you most likely won't run into any wolves or bears, hopefully.

3. Grill out at the lake

This is probably the scene you were daydreaming about in mid- January as you shoveled six feet of snow out of your driveway.

4. Old fashioned murder mystery party

Sort of like that episode of The Office, but at home and with dinner.

5. Go to a cornfield and drink

Probably the most common thing you will do this summer, but in a cornfield, you can make a cool fort.

6. Have a fiesta

Salsa dancing, pinatas and quesadillas. I honestly don't see a bad part of this.

7. Play sardines

Yes, a little childish, but everyone could use a little childhood wonder. Here are the rules.

8. Host a bonfire

A classic summertime event that everyone should have every day.

9. Smash things

School stresses us out, so pick up a case of soda and some watermelons and literally hit them with a bat, it's so satisfying. Slo-Mo setting on your phone is an essential as well.

10. Convince your mom’s friend to set up a town scavenger hunt

You will actually feel like you need to save the world, make sure there is a cool theme.

11. Prank everything/ everyone

I'm not talking phone pranks. Do toilet paper, egging, post-it noting places, the larger the prank the better.

12. Breakfast at a dairy-day

This won't be hard to find, there's probably one every weekend. Plus pancakes.

13. Receiving so much candy at township parades

Yeah, they may only last 20 minutes and drive 5 mph, but there's always free stuff.

14. Join a cornhole tournament

Buy, practice, master and enroll. You can be a champion too.

15. Buy a moped, join a moped gang

The kid on the moped may get a few laughs, but no one messes with the gang.

16. Bury a time capsule

All those great memories from high school that you can relive in 20 years. Try writing down a secret that you'd feel comfortable to reveal in a few decades.

17. Four-wheel on the back roads

Endless trails, maybe even an opportunity to pop a wheelie.

18. Go fishing

Honestly, you know everyone else in your town does this, so why not join in?

19. Have a classic Monopoly game night

Getting back to basics, plus this will kill at least seven hours.

20. Go find geocaches

Take something and leave something. There are many helpful resources to find these treasure chests.

21. Do crazy youtube challenges

Word of advice, just don't die.