3 Books With Strong Female Characters That Won't Make You Cringe

And how to write them yourself!

168
OverthinkingIt

Since the arrival of "The Hunger Games" book series and subsequent multi million-dollar movie franchise on the scene, strong female characters have become fairly ubiquitous. Most of the young adult novels that get made into movies these days feature strong female characters. But not all female characters are created equal, and not every female character billed as “strong” actually makes the grade. Given the sheer number of “strong” female characters being churned out every day by authors desperate to follow in Suzanne Collins’ footsteps, it’s important to figure out how to separate the wheat from the chaff. Here’s a collection of books featuring strong female characters, and a guide on the characteristics that make them so.

1. "The Diabolic" by S.J. Kincaid.

First of all, cool title, right? And the coolness doesn’t stop there. This book tells the story of Nemesis, a not-quite-human girl bred to be a bodyguard for the daughter of a prominent intergalactic senator. When the senator’s daughter is summoned to the perilous intergalactic court, Nemesis pretends to be her and goes in her place. But surviving the treacherous world of intergalactic politics might be too much for even Nemesis to handle.

Part of what sets Nemesis apart as a true strong female character is that this is very much her story. The plot, such as it is, couldn’t happen without her, and as the story’s narrator we’re always getting her take on the action. Similarly, when a romantic interest for Nemesis appears in the story, she’s not weakened by their presence. On the contrary, she becomes even more certain in her beliefs and her course of action. One of the most important components to a strong female character is their agency. When it comes to their actions within the story, they should always be in the driver’s seat.

2. "The Scorpio Races" by Maggie Stiefvater.

Another good title, and another excellent example of a strong female protagonist. The titular "Scorpio Races," held on the island of Thisby every November, are run by deadly water horses ridden by courageous men. At least, that’s how it’s always been – until this year. Puck Connolly enters the race to save her family’s farm, bucking centuries of tradition, but can she survive both the water horses and the other competitors who are out for her blood?

Puck, like Nemesis, narrates her own story, a choice that keeps her thoughts and feelings centered in the narrative. But part of what makes Puck a strong female character is how strong her life outside of the plot itself is. The book never forgets that Puck has hopes, dreams, aspirations – in short, a life – outside of the plot, that will continue after the plot of the story concludes. Readers want to read about characters who are alive, and Puck is very much alive and in control of her own narrative.

3. "The Darkest Part of the Forest" by Holly Black.

What is it with these titles? Maybe there’s a correlation between excellent titles and strong female characters. In any case, this book features a town called Fairfield that sits on the divide between the human realm and the fairy world. Most of the time, the fairies are a tourist attraction, but sometimes they turns deadly, and luckily for the human residents of the town, Hazel is there to protect them. She relishes her role as a knight in shining armor, until a new threat makes her think she might not be strong enough to protect them all.

While Hazel shares the narration of the book with other characters, it’s clear from the beginning that she’s a driving force in the plot. Her actions keep the story moving forward, and best of all, she’s allowed to have flaws and make mistakes. This is a luxury not often afforded to female characters, but what makes Hazel a true strong female character is that she doesn’t just make mistakes, she learns from them. She’s a better person at the end of the novel than she was at the beginning, and what’s stronger than changing yourself for the better?

If you’re looking for a new book to read, I’d suggest picking up any one of these three. You won’t be disappointed.