11 Books You Can ACTUALLY Read Before You Die

Stuffy and extremely long novels are great, but what about books people actually WANT to read?

64
Wikimedia

OK, so we've all read those long lists of "100 Books to Read Before You Die" or some variation of it.

And, they are all filled with the usual suspects, like "To Kill a Mockingbird," "Ulysses," "Moby Dick," etc, which are all really good and very interesting and most definitely worthy to read before you die, but as young adults in today's fast-moving world, we don't always have the time or energy to really delve into these dense, multi-faceted novels.

That's why here I've compiled a list of rather easy-to-read books (in no particular order) that you most definitely need to read before you die, and that teach good lessons, keep the reader engaged, and don't make you want to die.

1. "The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas (2017)

This book has been all the rage among YA circles these past few years, and there's a good reason as to why.

Angie Thomas' young adult novel about the contemporary issue of racism and police shootings, told through the voice of a 16-year-old girl named Starr, gives a real voice to these widely discussed issues.

I really liked it because I felt like it truly showed the reality many people face in an interesting and accessible way, and for this reason, I think most everyone in our modern society would do well to read it.

It brings attention to an important issue, without being dry and dull. Plus it had some great characters and was rather enjoyable to read.

Find it on Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes&Noble

2. "More Happy Than Not" by Adam Silvera (2015)

A lesser known but equally as powerful book, "More Happy Than Not" displays the truth of family tragedy, the relationship between race and class and coming to terms with your own sexuality, all set in this alternate future that offers an exclusive mind-altering memory procedure.

I read this book a few years ago and have not stopped thinking about it, and I think others should read it because it provides an unapologetic look at the real human emotion teens go through. It gets emotional, it gets intense, and the ending will have you reeling.

3. "Between Shades of Gray" by Ruta Sepetys (2011)

No, this is not "50 Shades of Gray" but it honestly deserves way more fame.

Chronicling the story of a family during the Soviet invasion of Lithuania in 194, this book sheds light on a lesser known part of history that everyone should be aware of, and it will hit your heart so hard you will be crying for days (I know I was.)

Plus you just can't put it down.

4. The "Harry Potter" Series by J.K. Rowling (1997-2007)

When I asked my friends and family for their suggestions, these books definitely got the most mentions, and honestly, why shouldn't they?

They've got action, they've got drama, they've got the humor, they've got the mystery. They've also got character progression, interesting plots, and vivid imagery, they've got it all, it's the whole experience.

Plus this series is such an institution at this point that once you read it, you'll understand a lot more inside jokes and references, and also get to experience the endless supply of merch, fanfiction, and even amusement parks!

Find it on Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes&Noble, and honestly anywhere

5. "It's Kind of a Funny Story" by Ned Vizzini (2007)

Some YA authors are too afraid to tell the full truth of depression, or they do write about it but in such a way that's too depressing to read or tries too hard to make everything light and funny.

Ned Vizzini is not one of these authors. He effortlessly combines these two camps in a book that is effective yet uplifting at the same time. Another one I couldn't stop thinking about. Those with depression will find solace and those without will find understanding.

6. "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls (2000)

My friend said this story of a boy and his two hunting dogs was the first novel that really touched her spirits and helped her understand how just words on a page could evoke such emotion.

Especially for someone just beginning to understand what a powerful thing reading is, this book is a definite must.

7. "The Time Keeper" by Mitch Albom (2012)

My friend swears by this book, and when asked why she thought everyone should read it, she said: "I think it has a valuable message about the sanctity of time."

In today's fast-paced society with strong desires for instant gratification, this may be the perfect book to give you a new outlook on how best to live your life and treasure each moment.

8. "The Fault in our Stars" by John Green (2012)

By now I'm sure you've either read this book, or at least have a good idea of what it's about, but nevertheless, I thought this was a good one to add, especially when discussing the sanctity of time.

Though living with cancer, Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters start an unforgettable romance that no reader can ever forget. Not only is the book wonderfully written (I mean, everyone loves John Green) but it also teaches teenagers (and adults but they sometimes have a better idea of this) that we're not invincible.

9. "Crank" by Ellen Hopkins (2004)

Crank uses prose poetry to tell the story of Kristina, a girl who becomes addicted to crystal meth, and chronicles how that obsession completely alters her life and those around her.

It's a gripping novel that really makes you feel like you're experiencing the same pain, confusion, and anxiety as Kristina. Besides that fact that it is literally an amazing read, I think everyone should read this book because it hits on hard truths and interprets real-world problems in a fascinating way.

10. "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson (2012)

Honestly guys, this one's just a funny and wildly entertaining read that everyone deserves to experience. Not to mention the storyline is as creative as all get out.

I don't even know the best way to describe it, but basically, an old man tells the story of his life as he goes on a current adventure of his own, and it all comes together in the most glorious and hilarious way possible.

I literally can't even give you more than that, it's just so strange and funny.

11. "Half the Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity for Women Worldwide" by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn (2009)

Considered "essential reading for any global citizen," "Half the Sky," tells the true stories of women who, when emerging from oppressive situations, reached their full potential and made the world a better place.

For contemporary readers, this book is amazingly eye-opening and recommended for everyone because it makes the crimes we hear about all the time mostly in passing, into something personal and alive.

Most of us in our society are aware these things happen but don't really think about them and their possible solutions as much as we should. Reading this book is the first stepping stone to becoming a more aware and capable global citizen.

Honorable mentions AKA books I love or that were recommended that are kind of daunting to read but SOOO worth it

"Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand (1957), "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo (1862), "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair (1906), "1984" by George Orwell (1949), "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez (1967)*, "Lord of the Rings" series (1954-1955) by J.R.R. Tolkien*

Obviously, there are way more books that could be added to this list, but these are some that have really stood out to me (or others) so far.

I had a lot of fun making this list, so please let me know if there are some major works that I missed and I may make a Part Two! Or another list that's less young adult than this one.

Anyway, happy reading everybody!