If You're Looking For The Perfect Fireside Read, Look No Further

What's better on a cold day than curling up with hot chocolate, a soft blanket, and a good book?

92

People read for fun? Of course we do! I believe if you aren't reading for fun, you most likely haven't found the right book. I keep track of all my books on Goodreads, one of my favorite websites.

So if you like fantasy, fiction, romance, humor or adventure check out my list for these must-reads!

Almost Adulting: All You Need to Know to Get It Together

By Arden Rose

"In Almost Adulting — perfect for budding adults, failing adults, and eaters of microwave mug brownies — Arden tells you how to survive your future adulthood. Topics include:
-Making internet friends who are cool and not murderers
-Flirting with someone in a way to make them think you are cool and not a murderer
-Being in an actual relationship where you talk about your feelings in a healthy manner??? To the other person???????
-Eating enough protein
-Assembling a somewhat acceptable adult wardrobe when you have zero dollars
-Going on adventures without starting to smell
-How sex is supposed to feel, but, like, actually though
By the end of the book — a mash-up of essays, lists, and artwork — you'll have learned not only how to dress yourself, how to travel alone, how to talk to strangers online, and how to date strangers (in PERSON!), but also how to pass as a real, functioning, appropriately socialized adult."

I recommend this book to all college students, even my non-readers out there. It is written by Arden Rose, whose advice can also be found on Youtube. She is not afraid to get personal about anything and is quite hilarious. This book contains how Rose learned to adult in many different ways, from dating and traveling to working on yourself. It will make you laugh out loud for sure!

I'll Give You The Sun

By Jandy Nelson

"At first, Jude and her twin brother Noah, are inseparable. Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude wears red-red lipstick, cliff-dives, and does all the talking for both of them. Years later, they are barely speaking. Something has happened to change the twins in different yet equally devastating ways . . . but then Jude meets an intriguing, irresistible boy and a mysterious new mentor. The early years are Noah's to tell; the later years are Jude's. But they each have only half the story, and if they can only find their way back to one another, they'll have a chance to remake their world. This radiant, award-winning novel from the acclaimed author of The Sky Is Everywhere will leave you breathless and teary and laughing—often all at once."

I loved this book, as it is one of my favorites. I might be biased because it painted life as an artist would see it and I am an artist, but I truly admire that perspective. It's a story of how these twins grew up and grew apart, but how it is written is beautiful. It's not necessarily a feel-good story, but after finishing it, the book will bring forth many emotions.

Turtles All The Way Down

By John Green

"Sixteen-year-old Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there's a hundred-thousand-dollar reward at stake and her Best and Most Fearless Friend, Daisy, is eager to investigate. So together, they navigate the short distance and broad divides that separate them from Russell Pickett's son, Davis. Aza is trying. She is trying to be a good daughter, a good friend, a good student, and maybe even a good detective, while also living within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts."

I'm sorry, but I had to throw in a John Green book. If you have anxiety and have never been able to articulate your thoughts, this book does exactly that. I'll admit, it was hard to get through sometimes due to how accurate it was, but I've never read another novel where the character was portrayed in this way. I think this is a good read just to see a different mindset and be entertained by the mystery.

Caraval

By Stephanie Garber

Remember, it's only a game…

Scarlett Dragna has never left the tiny island where she and her sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett's father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval—the faraway, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show—are over.

But this year, Scarlett's long-dreamt-of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval's mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season's Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. Nevertheless she becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic. And whether Caraval is real or not, Scarlett must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over or a dangerous domino effect of consequences will be set off, and her beloved sister will disappear forever.

Welcome, welcome to Caraval…beware of getting swept too far away.

This book is the first of a trilogy, with the final book coming out May 7th, 2019. This series is for those more into fantasy, as the setting is a world you can't believe, filled with magic and secrets and so much more. The whole story leaves the reader wondering what is real and what is fake because it's all a game. But is there more to the game than you think? This was such an intriguing book that twists your heart because of the character's relationships and obstacles. It always left you wanting to read more and to know more. I cannot wait for the third book!

A Thousand Pieces Of You

By Claudia Gray

Marguerite Caine's physicist parents are known for their groundbreaking achievements. Their most astonishing invention, called the Firebird, allows users to jump into multiple universes—and promises to revolutionize science forever. But then Marguerite's father is murdered, and the killer—her parent's handsome, enigmatic assistant Paul— escapes into another dimension before the law can touch him.
Marguerite refuses to let the man who destroyed her family go free. So she races after Paul through different universes, always leaping into another version of herself. But she also meets alternate versions of the people she knows—including Paul, whose life entangles with hers in increasingly familiar ways. Before long she begins to question Paul's guilt—as well as her own heart. And soon she discovers the truth behind her father's death is far more sinister than she expected.

This is also a trilogy, finished in 2016. This science fiction story was one of the most interesting books I've read because it is set in different alternate universes. The various universes were so creative and vastly different from one another, it makes you think what would be or could be different is one thing changed. Due to these alternate universes, you meet alternate versions of the same character and it's interesting to see how one relationship differs from another. Overall, this book was quite a whirlwind and there were twists I never saw coming.

Cinder

By Marissa Meyer

A forbidden romance.

A deadly plague.

Earth's fate hinges on one girl . . .

CINDER, a gifted mechanic in New Beijing, is also a cyborg. She's reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's sudden illness. But when her life becomes entwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the centre of a violent struggle between the desires of an evil queen - and a dangerous temptation.

Cinder is caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal. Now she must uncover secrets about her mysterious past in order to protect Earth's future.

This is not the fairytale you remember. But it's one you won't forget.

This series is a twist on your childhood fairytales, where your damsels in distress are turned into heroines. The modern science fiction take on the stories is something I found really interesting. You'll find many of your favorite characters in the books in the most interesting ways. I definitely recommend to those who love romance and fairytales.