5 Books for the Sad Queer in your Life

5 Books for the Sad Queer in your Life

I cannot possibly recommend these LGBTQ novels more highly.

2028
5 Books for the Sad Queer in your Life

Looking for a nice, feel-good book to give to an LGBT friend of yours? Look no further! As a self-proclaimed connoisseur of queer fiction, I'm here to offer my expert opinions for those looking for gifts for their LGBT bookworms.

Have Your Voice Heard: Become an Odyssey Creator

The following books have LGBT main characters and avoid stereotypes that are found all too often in LGBT fiction such as the dead gay trope (books in which LGBT characters die), the coming out novel (books centered around the issue of coming out), and books which depict violent homophobia, transphobia, and other forms of hatred towards LGBT people. These books all have happy endings and are perfect feel-good novels for someone looking for all the whimsical fun offered by an LGBT novel and none of the sexuality/gender-related angst that all too often comes with the territory.

1. Carry On- Rainbow Rowell

For those that know me well, the fact this is number one on my list should come as no shock. I am flat-out obsessed with this book. The story of Simon Snow and his attempt to save the magical world, fulfill his chosen one destiny, and figure out his conflicting feelings for his potentially-evil roommate contains everything anyone--but especially fans of the Harry Potter series-- could want.

Takes place in a magic school? Check. Plays with and ultimately subverts the tropes and plot points of your average Harry Potter book? Check. A riveting plot with unexpected twists and turns? Check. Incredible diversity? Check. All this topped off with an enemies-turned-lovers romance that is impossible to resist? Sign me up! This book is the perfect buy for anyone who is willing to give up eating, sleeping, and bathroom breaks for a day or two while they devour this gem of a book. In fact, buy a copy for yourself as well while you're at it

Buy it on Amazon.

2. Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda- Becky Albertalli

It's only a coincidence that the first and second books on this list contain main characters named Simon, I swear! Anyway, this book has a special place in my heart as someone currently in a relationship with someone whom I met online. Sixteen year old Simon's world is put at risk when emails between him and his mysterious online suitor, Blue, are found by the wrong person. This person, a boy in his grade, strikes a deal with him: if Simon helps him get a date with the girl he likes, he won't tell anyone about the contents of the e-mails he's found.

Though this book contains potential for sexuality-related angst out the wazoo, it does not deliver. Instead it uses the plot-point of blackmail to push the main character further into meeting his mystery man and into being comfortable as an individual (not just as a queer person). This book has romance and cuteness spring-loaded at every turn and made me swoon at every turn of the page. It's cuter than puppies and kittens and babies all put together and is the perfect read for someone just looking for a little romance.

Buy it on Amazon.

3. Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit- Jaye Robin Brown

This book is an especially good choice for a religious LGBT person. When Joanna Gordon's father remarries and moves into the small town of Rome, Georgia, her father, a radio preacher and silent ally of LGBT rights, asks of her one thing: to keep her sexuality under the radar so that he can first earn the trust of his homophobic in-laws. In exchange, he agrees to grant her a queer-friendly radio program in which the two of them can talk about issues regarding the religious community and LGBT people. This promise, however, is deeply threatened when Joanna falls for the beautiful Mary Carlson.

This book weaves in a beautiful romance with small-town southern charm and deep explorations of the issues of being closeted, the intersection between Christianity and LGBT rights, and how to navigate relationships with people whom you might not see eye-to-eye with, all the while respecting the rights of the main character, Joanna, as a lesbian. While this book could have easily sidelined Joanna's right to be who she is and prioritized the feelings of her straight friends and family, it instead chooses to eloquently explore the dynamics between Joanna and the complicated world she is a part of. This book is equal parts smart, romantic, and well-written and is a great gift for anyone looking for a romance between two ladies.

Buy it on Amazon.

4. You Know Me Well- Nina Lacour and David Levithan

This book, taking place during pride week in the queer-centric city of San Francisco, is the proof that everything these two writers touch turns to gold. This is the story of Kate and Mark, a lesbian and gay teen respectively, who meet in a bar the first night of pride and chronicles one crazy week in which they both become fast friends, find love, and learn about themselves along the way.

The queer universe in which these characters take place is a rainbow smorgasbord that will make any queer reader feel instantly enveloped in love in a way previous LGBT books may not have left them feeling before. This book is a straight-up celebration of everything queerness is, with two love stories intertwined, and will leave every LGBT reader wanting more (and luckily, these two writers have many other books to choose from, if more is wanted).

Buy it on Amazon.

5. How to Repair a Mechanical Heart- J.C. Lillis

This book chronicles the life-changing road trip of Brandon, a reserved Catholic boy with the guilt to boot, and Abel, his out-and-proud best friend, as they chase a traveling fan convention of their favorite sci-fi TV show, Castaway Planet. Throughout the story, both boys come to terms with the relationship between straight fans and queer relationships in television, and their feelings for each other.

This book is an absolute must for any queer geek in your life. Like Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, this book details the relationship young people today have with the stories they love. It captures the aforementioned world in stunning detail, as well as criticizes the gay fetishization practiced by many young, straight fans of TV shows today. It is a brilliant, snarky, and sweet love letter to all queer geeks who are tired of being treated as dolls for the amusement of straight fans in fandom today. I cannot possibly recommend this book more highly.

Buy it on Amazon.

Please note that all items are in stock as of the time of publication. As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.