Book of the Week: 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' by Phillip K. Dick

And I thought watching The Matrix messed with my head.

28
http://ttbyl.net/

There is a certain amount of diplomacy one must possess when discussing the works of Phillip K. Dick. Having lived a life full of mental disorders, emotional breakdowns, drug addictions and paranormal experiences, reading a book by him is like taking a nose dive into his psyche. Phillip K. Dick was a pioneer in post-modern literature, but he also carved a name for himself in the work of science-fiction. His stories tend to shy away from the technical aspects of science and focus more on the philosophy of it. "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" has to be one of his most thought-provoking novels. Containing themes of philosophy, religion, and the dangers of artificial intelligence; What else could you ask for?

The book is set in the year 2017, (this book was published in 1968 by the way.) It is the aftermath of the third world war, most of the planet has been contaminated with radiation, killing most species of animals on earth. As a result, a new religion, Mercerism, has taken over; animals are now considered sacred, and everyone lives on a vegetarian diet. Did you hear that animal rights activists? You eventually won. But at what cost? Anyway, most of the human population has left to colonize on Mars, and those who are able to are given androids, or "andies" for short. Andies have a four-year long lifespan, and resemble actual human beings and mimic human behavior. However, following the cliché, the Andies begin to think for themselves and desire to live like humans.

This is where the plot goes to one of our main protagonists, Rick Deckard. Rick is a bounty hunter who lives on Earth with his wife and their electric sheep. (Its a requirement that all Mercerists own an animal, but due to their sacred value, they are practically priceless, so android animals make a cheap replacement for those who can't afford them.) Deckard receives an assignment that six Andies have escaped Mars and are hiding among the public, its up to him to "retire" them before they cause damage. However, as Rick begins to hunt down each of them, he begins to question if what he is doing is ethical. Meanwhile, another protagonist, J.R. Isidore, has his own story arch. Isidore is a devout Mercerist, who makes a living repairing electric pets. He ends up harboring four of the andies in his apartment, believing them to be his friends. He seems to know what he is doing is wrong, but he does it for the sake of not wanting to be alone.

These two stories interlock as Deckard is searching for the andies, while Isidore is hiding them. While Deckard questions his actions against the andies. He constantly veers back an fourth with if he should kill them or not. But he also begins to grow paranoid, since the andies are so easy to blend in with people. He actually begins to question if he is an android or not. You'll have to read the book to find out why. The there is Isidore. Isidore gives us a deep look into the life of a devout Mercerist. Mercerism is actually one of the most interesting religions I've ever came across in works of fiction. To me it was a cross between Christianity and Buddhism, like every religion I come across in science fiction!! I've always had a fascination with religion, and by how the author describes the customs of Mercerism, it actually seems plausible. Morality plays a part in both these characters plotlines but for totally different reasons. To go further into detail would require spoilers.

The book has a timeless futuristic feel, but I can't help but think that the author didn't explore the world he created as much as he could've. Their are futuristic pieces of technology that are described but never show a sign of significance to the reader. One example is the Mood Organ; this organ provides stimulant capsules that can adjust the mood of a person using it. All you have to do is input a code and you are provided with a capsule to adjust your mood. This is described is such a casual manner, like a character was just using a regular coffee machine.

However, the book is explores many philosophical questions on morality, sexuality, religion, nature, and the value of life itself. I can't even touch on the themes any more than I already did because they are so complex that discussing them would spoil most of the book. The plot of the book is thin, but this is a that relies on its characters to keep the reader interested. Deckard and Isidore are very interesting characters. You get a deep look into how they think; what drives them; what makes them upset; and how they make their lives meaningful.

In the end, the book was pretty good. If you're looking for a challenging read that provokes philosophical discussion then give the book a try. Just warning you, you're perception of morality will change, drastically.

But these are just my opinions, Have you read the book? What did you think? Do you want to read it now? Comment below and have an awesome week!!!