book lover problems

18 of the biggest Bookworm Struggles

For such a relaxing hobby, reading comes with a lot of problems.

93
https://pxhere.com/en/photo/1256031
https://pxhere.com/en/photo/1256031

In a world where everyone seems to spend more time in front of a screen than ever, it seems that opinions on reading are either black or white.

Either you love reading with every ounce of your being or you hate it with ever fiber of your dark and depraved soul.

Perhaps you can guess where my opinion falls?

Reading is a hobby that I have had in my life since Kindergarten and in that time I have experienced every single one of these bookworm struggles.

1. Budgeting your money

Every book lover, especially the stereotypical "broke college student," knows one thing better than anyone: books are expensive. Even an order from Amazon Prime can cost over $30 before you've even covered your light weekend reading. Before you know it you have all of your books but no money for food. While reading is important and enjoyable, food is a scientifically proven necessity of life.

If you're trying to be less impulsive like me, I highly suggest online shopping because it's easier to say no to a book when the precious cover isn't staring you in the face and demanding to go home with you.

2. Reading too many books at once

With so many incredible classics already in print and even more coming out every day, the only way you could possibly cross off every book on your never-ending "to read" list is by reading more than one (or six) at a time. People are always in awe of your ability to manage the plots, settings, and characters of multiple books but you don't find it impressive at all. For you, it's just like watching a television show or visiting different friend groups.

3. Reading the same book too many times

Whether it's the picture book that sparked your love for reading or the six hundred page classic that you fell in love with in high school, every bookworm has that one book that just keeps crying "read me again, read me again." You always tell yourself to ignore that cry and show some love to the untouched books beside it but you know you'll always come back to Old Reliable.

4. The hard back vs. paperback debate

Since we read a lot, we bookworms absorb a lot of information that helps us form very strong opinions on a plethora of things. We are also very picky about the personal preferences that result from these strong opinions.

For starters, we always know if we want our books as paperback or hardback. Some people prefer the soft feel of a paperback book in their hand and others like to know that the hardcover promises a longer relationship with their beloved. To each their own...but paperback is better.

5. The eBook vs. hard copy debate

If you really want to know just how "type-A" a bookworm is, ask them if they use eBooks or eReaders. You have a fifty-fifty chance that they will scold you for even muttering those words in their presence. The younger (and more financially-minded) bookworm will tell you that eBooks are a fabulous invention that has allowed them to continue their habits without breaking the bank or their bookshelves.

Personally, I need a physical book but I repeat: to each their own.

6. The used bookstore debate

If you haven't sensed a theme here, let me spell it out for you: not only are bookworms generally very opinionated but we are also fall on one of two ends of a spectrum when it comes to finances. Either we are frugal, spending our money very carefully (often on digital and used books) or we blow all of our money on fancy hard cover books that have just rolled off of the press and into our greedy little hands.

Because of this, most bookworms have a very strong opinion about used bookstores.

Regardless of your stance on purchasing a used book (which could have been literally anywhere before you take it home with you and snuggle up in bed with it,) the most common complaint against used bookstores is the disorganization. Since the "shipments" of books rarely come in any particular order, they are usually tossed haphazardly on the shelves. Say what you want about "letting the perfect book find you" but I prefer to know exactly where to find my perfect book.

7. The "dog-ear" debate

Many a relationship between bookworms has been dissolved by a debate as old as time: the question of bookmarks or "dog eared" pages. Some people like to collect and make bookmarks to keep their places and others simply don't have time to be bothered. Some people don't mind the "gently loved" appearance of a few bent pages and others will go into a full-on anxiety attack if a page is slightly tattered.

8. The judgmental comments and looks

Regardless of the spats that occur between bookworms over the smallest details of our shared obsession, we all share the experience of reading around non-readers. Just mention a book that they've never heard of (or, heaven forbid, read) and you get a scoff, followed by comments such as "why are you such a nerd" or "no wonder you don't have any friends...you read crusty old things like that."

Don't even get me started on reading in public these days. Unless it's a business manual or a textbook, you will get the weirdest looks if you crack open a book while sipping your coffee in a busy Starbucks. I'm not talking "I wonder what she's reading" looks...I'm talking "what is wrong with that poor creature? She must be so tired of her life that she's had to resort to reading" looks. Be careful out there, my fellow bookworms. We are a minority in dangerous territory.

9. The BOGO struggle

Even though you're on a budget, Buy One Get One sales are not your best friend. Sure, you get to pay for one book and have the pleasure of taking two books home but that means you now have a choice. That's right, you get to pick only two books. No more, no less. Torn between four or five books? Nope, you only get to choose two. That sale does not care which you choose, just that you choose the right amount. Talk about "Sophie's Choice," right?

10. Not having enough money for a personal library

Raise your hand if you remember watching "Beauty and the Beast" as a child and feeling an intense jealousy when you saw Belle's library. Congrats, you're a born and bred bookworm. Every book lover's dream is a home library full of books and a nice, cozy chair to read in when life gets to be too much for the old soul.

11. Running out of shelf space

Over the years you're sure to hear about more books that "you just have to read." If you're lucky, you will get to check each and every one of your desired books off of your "to read" list. Although I would love this for each and every one of my fellow bookworms, we all know that this dream comes with it's own struggles. Books are like beloved family members and we all know you can't just get rid of those. Instead, they hang around and gather dust over the years. You may not have touched that copy of "Green Eggs & Ham" in twelve years but you just can't bring yourself to throw it away. The only thing to do now is clear space for another shelf...

12. Running out of shelves

Until your entire home is lined with bookshelves, that is. If you have enough books to completely line each wall in your home, I applaud you...but I also beg you to get rid of some books. I know it's hard but it's the right thing to do because, after all, if you love something, let it go, right?

13. Running out of time to read

Summer is the perfect season for reading for a variety of reasons. Mainly, because school is out of session and vacation time is more prevalent. It's nice while it lasts but when the leaves start to change colors, your mood starts to change as well. Now you're back in class and when you're not there you're doing homework. Suddenly, your precious reading time has dwindled down to a mere three minutes before you fall asleep at night. Although those three minutes mean the world to you, you would kill to have your beach chair and summer novel back.

14. Falling asleep mid-sentence

Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you don't make it to the end of those precious three minutes at the end of the day. Between the stress of everyday life and the relaxing vibes of curling up with a good book, it's inevitable that every bookworm will wake up with a book draped across their face or thrown under the bed at some point. Yet again, necessity, trumps desire. Just don't forget to bookmark (or dog-ear) your place before dozing off.

15. "Cheating" on your favorite series

Only one thing could possibly be more painful than a breakup after a five-year romance and that is the intermission between installments of a favorite series. You understand that the author needs time to work their magic but you grow restless. Your eyes crave the text, your mind hungers for the excitement of a new plot, and you start to consider seeking a side fling novel. Before you know it, you're leaving the bookstore with a new novel and a sense of shame. Months later, the next installment has been released and you're on your hands and knees, begging for forgiveness from your lost love. Can you give this poor bookworm a second chance?

16. Limiting your social circle

Reading is a very solitary hobby and, because of this, most bookworms have a very small group of friends. We don't like to socialize because that takes away from our already limited reading time. However, we are humans and that means we need social interaction from time to time. To accomplish this, we usually make friends amongst ourselves because few people truly understand what it's like to actually choose to read for fun anymore. So, instead of being alone all the time, we gather occasionally to talk about our favorite books.

Yes, book clubs can actually talk about books and not neighborhood gossip.

17. Falling into Internet fandoms

Inevitably, bookworms will fall in love with a book. It becomes all you can think about and you just have to do everything you can to find out more, to discover all of the hidden secrets that exist after the book is over. Nine times out of ten, this obsession will lead to a Google search that ends in a non-binding contract with the book's cult following.

Before you know it, you've learned their language and your family is begging you to stop speaking in codes. You aren't sure why, but you're now convinced that two of the male characters are secretly madly in love with one another. You open your door in the evenings to find an Amazon order with six t-shirts emblazoned with one of the least important quotes from the book. If this is you, just know that I support your love of reading but please...seek help.

18. Realizing that your problem will never go away

If you're like me, you have been a bookworm for most of your life. You've had a book in your hands since you learned to read and will not put it down for love nor money. At this point, you've just learned to accept it as part of who you are. Sure, you have to ask a trusted friend to call you and remind you to eat and sometimes you have Ramen noodles six nights in a row after a big book order but you wouldn't stop for the world. You can't stop.

No matter how many Internet fights you get into fan theories and spoilers, how much money you blow on books in a year, or how many weird looks you get for *gasp* actually enjoying a book, being a bookworm is a wonderful thing. No matter how cliché it sounds, reading truly opens a world of possibilities for those that can truly sink their teeth into a story.

Instead of turning on the television the next time you're feeling bored, take a page out of the bookworm's book (but not literally, we will cry) and, well, read a book! I promise you will thank me later.