3 Apps You Need If You're A Book Lover With A Smart Phone

Paperbacks aren't always available when you need a good story.

2997
Instagram - @hugutkowo

I get asked all the time "where do you find all of your books." Three people literally asked me this exact question as I was writing this article. Below are my three favorite sources, although I have tried just about every other digital source there is.

1. OverDrive

This is my FAVORITE app to use. It's set up through your public library and as long as you have a library card you have access to thousands of books and audio books at your fingertips! And if you’re like me, and have a library card in your home city and a card in the city you attend school, you have an even bigger pot to choose from. I’ve even been able to find a few of my assigned books on the app for my English classes. Being able to check them out digitally has saved me a lot of money.

Pros:

• There are a lot of free books and audiobooks.
  • Unlimited amount of checkouts (you have a max amount you can have out at once but as long as you don’t reach that number you don’t have anything to worry about).
  • If your library doesn’t have a book you are looking for, you can request for the library to order a copy.
  • There are no overdue fees because the app automatically returns books for you.

Cons:

• just like a normal library, digital copies are limited. Should all copies be checked out bu another user you have to wait for them to return the copy in order to check out the title.
  • You have to download content to your phone unless you wish to view/listen in your browser. However, I do not recommend listening this way because you will have to continuously use your data plan if you are not connected to WiFi.

2. iBooks

This one is for iPhone users only and comes pre-downloaded on your phone DO NOT DELETE IT! This app is a hidden gem, while the more popular books on here are not free. There are a ton of really great reads from all genres available to you if you’re looking to give new authors a chance.This app is guaranteed to introduce you to an author you’ll love.

Pros:

• This app comes pre-loaded on your iPhone, and you don’t need anything besides your iTunes account.
  • There is a “free” tab you can use to sort out all the free books.
  • If there is something you want to buy you can use your iTunes account just like any other in-app purchase.

Cons:

• There are audio books available, but none of these are free.
  • This app does not work on Android devices.

3. Hoopla Digital

This one works similar to Overdrive. You have to have a library card to use it and while it doesn’t have as large of a selection as Overdrive, this app does a much better job of getting you something that you will like.

Pros:

• It usually has a few titles by authors you like that Overdrive doesn’t have.
  • If it doesn't have a book you are looking for it will give you a list of authors with similar writing styles. This allows you to check out some new titles and authors.
  • It also has movies available for download!
  • There are no overdue fees because the app automatically returns the books for you.
  • You’re able to stream audiobooks in the app without downloading the title.
  • There are no limits on digital copies! You can check out any title you find without having to wait for someone else to return the copy.

Cons:

• You can only check out 10 items a month, if you have access to one of the other apps this is more than enough.
  • If you choose not to stream, downloading the title takes a minute.
  • There isn’t as wide a selection as the other library card apps.

Having all three of these is the trifecta of online literary happiness. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses, but together you can find just about any story line you desire.