The BMW Championship From a first-timer's perspective

"I am standing on hole 11 watching Bill Murray tee up..."

5

On a crisp September morning, the most beautiful sunrise I’ve ever experienced emerges over Conway Farms. Pinks, oranges, and bright rays of light begin to illuminate the long day ahead. The morning for most people working here started at 4 a.m. or earlier. It is now 6 a.m., and Evans Scholars alumni start walking in, waiting to caddy. Today is the Gardner Heidrick Pro-Am, which kicks off the BMW Championship, a five-day event. Jordan Spieth, Jason Day, Bubba Watson, Bill Murray, and Brian Urlacher are just a few of the big names that will grace the course with their skill. Today and the days ahead will be long and tiring for the players and all putting on this tournament, but exciting and engaging, as well.

As someone who grew up playing, working around, and loving the game of golf, I am standing on hole 11 watching Bill Murray tee up and work the crowd wondering how I have never experienced anything like this before. This is truly a dream come true, and, boy, does it really feel like a dream. I am shiny with sunscreen and sweat after caddying alongside Bubba Watson just this morning. My feet are sore from walking around trying to take it all in, but that is quickly put out of my mind as I watch Ricky Fowler drive by me on a golf cart.

I was lucky enough to get a sneak peak into the Media Center; the quick tour left me contemplating if I have chosen the wrong field (physical therapy) while dreams of being a journalist typing up articles covering the BMW danced in my head. The click-clack of keys being rapidly pressed to record thoughts and ideas is drowned out by the giant projector screen playing the current coverage of the event and the interviews that took place in the next room just minutes before.

I returned to the BMW Championship three days after the Gardner Heidrick Pro-Am to watch Saturday's rounds. Just wandering around the grounds of Conway Farms is breathtaking. The set-up alone of the stands, trailers, and chalets is so impressive. I've never been to Conway Farms before, and I honestly don't know if I've seen a more beautiful golf course in person. I watch as Jason Day runs away with the lead, getting less than 10 feet away from him as he walks by. For a moment after he passes, I just sit on the grass on an empty hole to just take it all in. The smells of fresh grass, clean air, and food cooking somewhere nearby (what could beat a Lou Malnati's pizza on a golf course?); the sights of thousands of people congregated together to watch the world's greatest players attempt to master Conway Farms in a week; and the sounds of the cheering as a ball is chipped in, and audible disappointment when a putt is missed cause a warmly welcomed sensory overload.

If you made it to this year's BMW Championship at Conway Farms, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. To those of you who missed it, I hope I could give you a glimpse into something so awe-inspiring, it left me speechless. If you ever have a chance, the BMW Championship is an event worth attending. A special thank you to BMW, Western Golf Association Evans Scholars Foundation, and the PGA for giving me some of the most exciting days and experiences at the BMW Championship.