Bloomsburg University’s Vote Jam Brings Politicians to Campus

Vote Jam 2016 will be hosted by Bloomsburg University on October 19th, 2016.

34

Bloomsburg, PA, Oct. 2, 2016– Bloomsburg University will be hosting Vote Jam, a political debate rally, in Kehr Ballroom on October 19th,2016 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.. This rally is held every election year and brings in several local politicians to speak to students about the upcoming election. Vote Jam aims to inform students about the importance of politics. The day will be filled with speakers, music, food, and a debate between the campus Republicans and Democrats.

In the past, Vote Jam has brought well known politicians to campus such as Pennsylvania’s Senator Pat Toomey and U.S. Representative Lou Barletta. Professors who are passionate about politics are also invited to bring their classes and speak during the event. Representatives of the Republican and Democratic parties will also be in attendance at this year’s Vote Jam. The event is open to all Bloomsburg University students, faculty, and staff.

A major issue that arises on campuses around the nation is students’ lack of interest in politics. Many students on Bloomsburg University’s campus voice that they will probably not vote in the 2016 election because they are not informed or feel that their vote will not make a difference.

“I honestly don’t think I’ll be voting this year because I don’t feel informed enough to make that decision,” says Jessica McKeel, Bloomsburg University student.

By bringing politicians to campus and allowing students to hear their messages firsthand, the university hopes Vote Jam will encourage students to extend their voice and vote this November.

Dr. Maria Teresita Mendoza-Enright, Bloomsburg University professor who organizes Vote Jam every election year with the help of her Mass Communications Seminar class, comments that this event is always very successful in bringing awareness to students about the importance of politics. However, she encourages students to continue their political education even after attending Vote Jam.

“Getting politically educated is something that doesn’t just happen in one day but if I can get them (students) interested in it and thinking about it then I did my job,” says Dr. Mendoza-Enright.